Changing Buckets?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by wanabe, Apr 20, 2007.

1. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Is there a easy way to change excavator buckets? It is a very time consuming job. Any tips? Machine is a Deere 690 ELC. Thanks!

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If its a pin on bucket I don't know I never ran a machine with a pin on bucket 99% of the excavators in my area have manual quick connect buckets. Quick connect buckets are easy to work with all you need is a wrench and a heavy hammer.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I agree, if you don't have a quick coupler then changing buckets will take a long time. We ordered our 312C with a hydraulic wedge lock coupler, that was SUPER nice. I could change buckets in 30 seconds without leaving the cab, loved it.

4. wanabe

from So. IL

I wish I could put a hyd. quick connect on it, but I have no aux. hyd. To make things worse, I have a CF manual thumb on it, and it uses the same pin as the bucket.

5. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

yea man...we got hydro couplers on all our backhoes and trackhoes, makes it so nice when yo have to go from digging a wide drainage field to digging a 2foot wide ditch..no need to get out of the cab..we use to have the manual type but most the time we would just dig a wider ditch than needed because it just takes too long to change buckets, the only thing to make it go a little quicker is to keep everything greased but other than that theres not much you can do.

6. wanabe

from So. IL

Looks like it is just a hard job. Anyone know if I can use a manual quick connect with a thumb that uses the bucket pin? Will my buckets work with a manual quick connect? I thought about grinding a taper about 1/2 inch long on my pins to help line them up? Thanks!

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you should be able to. A wedgelock coupler mounts on the same pin as the bucket and thumb, and the rear pin mounts in the standard bucket linkage pins. The only thing you'll have to do is get longer pins, other than that, you'll be able to put a mechanical Q/C on the machine.

Now, to make the buckets compatible, you'd have to take them to a welding shop, get the current lugs cut off and new lugs matched to the quick coupler welded on. If you were ever to sell this machine, you'd more than likely get most of the cost of doing this retrofit back in resale.

As far as hydraulic coupler goes, they don't use the same lines as aux. hydraulic lines. They use a smaller, low pressure circuit and all it does is operate a small cylinder that pushes the wedge away from the lugs. You could probably have this circuit plumbed fairly easily if you wanted to, but if you're not using the machine for fast production work there's really no point to get these buckets on and off in under 30 seconds.

8. wanabe

from So. IL

Scag, please tell me more about the hyd. I always thought that they ran off of a aux. hyd. What do they run of of? Thanks!

9. dirthog

dirthog LawnSite Member

They run of line on the pilot system or on some of the newer systems off the pressure check point on the main pump. when you go to change buckets make sure you spend a couple of min and get a place leveled up to do it will save you 3-4 times the amount of time it take to do when changing the bucket

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, the hydraulic couplers don't run off a full pressure line that is used to run a breaker, hoe pac, thumb, etc. They use a low pressure circuit that's tapped into the pump and a small pilot control line run into the cab. I think some might actually use an electric over hydraulic setup, you flip a switch and that in turn sends an electrical signal to the valve for the low pressure circuit on the pump. Basically, all you're doing is telling that circuit valve to open and close to extend and retract the cylinder that opens and closes the wedge, so it's nothing too fancy or high pressure.