changing business names

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, May 11, 2008.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am considering changing my business name.

When I selected my current name I had no plans of being more than a skid steer service. Now 13 years later, I think the name is more of a hinderence and it does not reflect our scope of work any longer. I think the name pigeon holes me into a certain type of project. I am curious what others might think. Although it fluctuates, landscaping is problably 25% of gross money, excavation and demo makes up the rest. I advertise more heavily in landscaping sections of the yellow pages as the excavation is tied to contractors rather than residential customers.

I am considering something like "K2 Excavation" or perhaps "K2 Dirtworks"

Any thoughts of how to make the transition, potential names and thoughts on necessity are appreciated.

2. salopez

salopez LawnSite Senior Member

how about Kaiser Services?
    it keeps is simple, your current customers will relate.... and offers limitless other services.

3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

When we started out, we were part time and had no idea how it would go, so we picked the name Moonlite Landscaping. It worked great as we were part time and mainly all our work was landscaping but once I got our first skid we started to head towards more small excavating type work. I do think it hurt when we tried to go after bigger excavating stuff. After selling the snow part and reorganizing into Stuvecorp, I feel I can stress more dirt work and can sell the 'hybrid' concept better to people. I also wanted something that sounded 'bigger' and somewhat vague so I don't get pigeonholed.

The big thing is I was able to keep the phone number so that helps. It does allow you the opportunity to send out a flier or call past customers and get their attention. Around here it has been popular to take excavating and use just the 'X', so it would be 'K2X'.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think whatever name you choose, after a short time it will be recognized as the same company. If you advertise it would be a good idea to at least put in small print, "formerly Kaiser Skid Steer Services", until your new name takes shape. If you can keep your logo somewhat the same, that would help too. I think you're only doing this name change just so you can have an excuse to use the newer Case logo...:cool2::laugh:

Both names you mentioned, as well as what salopez said sound good. "Excavating" is a fairly broad word, as well as "Services", so I don't think you can go wrong in not wanting to trap yourself into a certain line of work. I think if you still used "Kaiser" it would help with recognition. People tend to remember the first word of a company and refer to them as that much more that the following names, especially if that first word is a last name like your current company name (That sounds more simple in my head).:dizzy:

If you're thinking of changing to a corperation, LLC, or whatever, it would probably be a good time to do so when you do your name change. It would keep you from having to reprint business cards, logos, etc. if you were to advertise that later.

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

Kaiser excavation.Kaiser services ltd,Kaiser earth works,Kaiser landscape&excavation llc,or KEL,inc there are many great new names in my opinion, stay simple,dozer makes a great point now is the time ,tell us what you do,and what you're about and i bet we can come up with a great name!:canadaflag:

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I wanted to keep my name out of it. If I ever wanted sell the company I think keeping a name out of it only helps. I would keep the contact numbers. I like the K2X idea. I am already an LLC but I am looking at other options as well. Yes Dozerman it would be an opportunity to update the logo. I plan on updating my website this Fall and that might be a good transition time.

There is no doubt that I am pigeon holed. It becomes obvious when talking with people not familiar with me. Locally not as big of a deal but it might be having a bigger effect than I am aware of.

I am curious to hear other name options preferable those names that don't include Kaiser. Thanks

7. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Kaiser Services. Would be the way to go. Plus your repeat clients know you as Kaiser any how, And it would be a simple transition.

By just using the name and services you should be able to go after just about any type of work you would want.

J.

8. ianh

ianh LawnSite Member

I know you wanted to keep your name out; but what about Kaiserex... nice roll to it.

9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Well you can't use Sh*t-4-Brainz Enterprises, that's mine.

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

One negative is if you change the legal business name it will mean a new LLC and a new tax ID number and a new business credit history.

Another option is keep your legal name and start a subsidiary so as it will make it easy too keep everything current.
    Of course things may be different in your state.

My last business had my name in it.
    Thats why I chose a generic name this go round.

Also adding excavation ,dirtworks etc in the name will also associate the name with one particular thing no different than Skid Steer Service.

KSSS Enterprises is a much more generic legal name that would allow you too expand into anything.
    You never no what is around the corner in this industry so why tie your hands.

Also it helps too have a unique name but very simple and also think in reference to being Logo friendly.