Changing cabs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TrinityELC, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TrinityELC

TrinityELC LawnSite Member

Has anyone transplanted a cab here before? I have an 88 F-superduty that needs a cab badly. I want to change to a newer style, what do I have to do? Will this change the gvw? :confused:
  2. Village Idiot

Village Idiot LawnSite Member

Why do you need to change cabs? Of course, you often need to change busses since they run only a specific route. But cabs usually will take you anywhere you want if you have the money.

Don't get suckered, man. Tell that Arab where you want to go and stand firm.:weightlifter:
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Cab swaps are a big job is the truck worth putting another cab on ?

How many miles on the truck ?

To change the cab you need to find a complete donor truck the best one would be a F-Superduty or F-350 cab and chassis because it will have the cab set up for the narrow frame.

To change the front clip you need again the complete donor truck and one with the HD rad support that if for the 460 or 7.3 IDI.

Good luck with the project I would plan on spending a good 2 grand on the cab swap. It should take you atleast a week. It is a alot of time consuming work.

It is why I asked if the truck is worth fixing.
  4. TrinityELC

TrinityELC LawnSite Member

I don't know. The truck has 126k on it with a new glow plugs, rotors, brakes, clutch,shocks, and a whole mess of parts. the cab has a new floor but there was almost nothing to rivet to. The front cab mount supports are all done. It's sinking in the middle. Drives like a dream, cab is a nightmare. Maybe a mig welder will do the trick and fix it?
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If you can find a cab go for it but any of the 88 to 97 OBS cabs are rusted out unless you head south for a rust free southern truck maybe something from Texas.

Once the cab mounts are gone its time to find another cab. Trying to replace cab mounts is a pain.

Since you have the diesel version you will need to find a cab with a diesel P/U truck for the sound insulation and the wiring for the diesel.

I still think your better off finding another truck and retire the old 88 dumping money into a dead horse gets expensive. Part the truck out for parts.