1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

changing careers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 7, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have noticed that more and more people are getting into lawn maintenance, yet I have also noticed that those that were doing lawn maintenance before are stepping away from it and trying new services instead.

Is it because of gas prices, the market being flooded with LCO, or something else?

I have many of times been thinking of getting out of lawn maintenance myself and just specialize in something else, like hydroseeding, fertilization, or aeration. There just seems to be more headaches lately compared to years in the past

What do you guys think?
  2. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I think that most landscape companies started as a lawn care service. I believe this is the natural progression of the industry. This has been going on forever, you are just moving on to stage 2

stage 1 lawn mowing
    stage 2 complete lawn care..mowing, fert, aerating, etc
    stage 3 Landscape/mowing
    stage 4 Landscape
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have gone past all of the stages years ago. I think that I am stage 25 (planning on retirement) :) I am thinking of just specializing in something.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont you think that there are hundreds of people specializing in all those other fields also. The other types of businesses are just as competive as lawn mowing.
  5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Times change. Situations change. People change.

News flash. This is my last season. I started part - time in '96 and went full-time in Spring '97. Did everything wrong you could think of. Still haven't learned how to make a real good living in this biz here in Northwest Arkansas. Last year was the best I've had, which is good, but only the first year I "equalled" what I made my last year--'93--working at a plant making Glad trash bags. Not really equal, though, because at the plant I had great fringe benefits.

I definitely wish I had stumbled on Lawnsite a whole lot sooner. Maybe some of the good advice from you experienced guys would have gotten through my thick skull, and I would have done better.

But for me right now, at my age, the issue is insurance. I can't buy health insurance, because I am a recovering alcoholic, and have a bunch of heart trouble in my family. I'm figuring by-pass within the next 5 years, and I need Tyson or some big company with group insurance to keep the medical bills from taking my home.

Anybody want to buy a lawn service in NW Arkansas?
  6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I Grew up in Springdale and still have a few relatives that live there. Seems that demographic are would be a little hard to make a profitable living cutting grass to begin with. The number of large lawn businesses in your area have grabbed the Tysons, Cargil and other large clients. Most of those people in that area a hard workin folks that really cut their own yards so that works against you to.

I love that area and would move back there in a minute if I could keep my business running. But I don't think I could thrive in that area either.

7. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

There are many,many people out there working in dead-end jobs that they strongly dislike and alot of them decide to make career changes.It's very easy to START a landscaping business so that's why there are so many people doing it .I believe that only a very small percentage stick with it and do really well,though.What separates these people from the rest?I believe it's mostly due to job satisfaction.This is hard,hard work and people who truly enjoy doing it are much more likely to have the motivation necessary to persevere and succeed...IMHO.