1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing company name after establishing??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone changed their company name after the company gets established?? My company has " Services " in it. When staring out I kind of did everything for property management before finding a good niche with lawn maintenance and landscape construction. For the last year I have not done any other services, only lawns and landscape. I have been in business for 3 years and the company is doing well. I want to change it to something that includes " ...Lawns & Landscape". Any comments or ideas?? Thanks
  2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

good "?" I am in your same boat, I want to get my name out of the company name.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We went from "Extreme Green Lawncare" to "Extreme Green Lawn & Landscape, LLC" this season (our third year). No big deal with customer recognition, more of a paperwork hassle than anything.
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, please keep them coming.
  5. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

I went from "Treffert Lawn Care" to Treffert Lawn Works" this year. No big trouble, cause everybodys says "Treffert's" anyway. But I didnt want a apostrophy in my graphics. Plus all the outfits around me are "...... lawn care", so I wanted to be different :D
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I thought of changing my name after my partner left, but after 7 years I didn't want to have to rebuild my name recognition. There is a LCO in a neighboring county that has a very similar name and I'd like to put some space betwix us, but I am leary of changing the name. A word or two probably won't have much effect, as long as your phone # stays the same.
  7. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I want to change mine also. How do you do this and what are the costs involved?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have been considering doing this as well. I've grown sick of correcting people....

No....not N. V. ...... Envy.... E N V Y

I'm still not sure if I'll do it or not. I hate to give up my name. So I will have to decide prior to Jan 1st 2004.
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I think the best way is to run 2 businesses with the old name and new name, with the same number. Gradually phase out the old name, bring on the new name. That way old and new customers will know who you are. If I change mine, I would do it that way.
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I changed my name this year. Completly different. I used both signs for the first half of the year. After everyone figured out we were all in the same they stuck with the most recent one. I do still get checks with my previous name on it but that is no biggie since it is still registered to me and the bank knows both names.
    good luck some what of a expensive change though. Legal stuff, new cards, tshirts, truck signs, trailer signs, and so on.