changing deck height on Jd gs30....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southarkansascutter, Jun 5, 2004.

1. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

Is it very difficult to change the deck height on a gs30???? I am contemplating buying one and I haven't gotten to look at one up close...

jd edger
    eb630 b/p blower
    stihl handheld blower
    12' trailer

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--if you haven't looked at a JD up close yet, I suggest that you do before you buy.

GEO

3. southarkansascutter

You are kinda in a bind around here when it comes to dealers.... Only 2 around here I will deal with.....they put cutters first... my chopper dealer doesn't sell walk behinds and jd doesn't have one on the floor they will have to order one......just trying to get somebody that has used ones opinion......

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Basically, there are three adjustment points on the gs30. There are 1) Spacers on the front castors, 2) 2 adjustments where the castors attatch to the deck, and 3) 4 adjustments where the deck attatches to the frame of the machine.

We change the height on a handful of accounts, but always less than 1" up or down. So, we can adjust the height using the castor spacers. Otherwise you have to start unbolting the deck from the machine in order to obtain the correct pitch.

Hopefully these pictures will explain it a little better.

height1.jpg

5. GLS

And the second pic. You definately don't want to have to adjust this one all of the time. 6 bolts total. I'd try to keep all accounts at the same level if at all possible. Or at least within 1". Otherwise I would try to fine a floating deck:)

Great machine though. Very tough and leaves a nice cut. I have pics of lawns cut with it if you are interested.

height2.jpg

6. southarkansascutter

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the pictures..That is what I have been
    trying to get....some feedback from someone that uses one....Please send the pictures...and some of the machine...I have only saw one in the brochure and on the internet....what model is yours and do you pull a sulky????

7. GLS

It is a 2002 gs30 36" with 13hp kohler...

Pic when it first arrived, before all of the scratches etc.

machine1.jpg

8. GLS

I don't have a sulky for it but i'm sure it could pull one fine. I just don't see how it would benefit my operation much...we use it in tight areas with a lot of turning around.

Here is another pic of the machine.

machine2.jpg

9. GLS

And here is a pic of the cut. Discharged, no striping kit. Although I have thought about bolting a rubber flap to the back of the deck.

ouryard.jpg