Changing Decks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, May 21, 2001.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I have 36 metro and I really need to upgrade to a 48. The question I have is would it be cheaper to sell it and look for a used 48 or is it possible to change decks and upgrade to a 48. Has anyone done this? All of my equipment is paid for and I would like to keep it that way. Thanks in advance. Belt drive if it is important.

Rick

2. from what i have heard. if you have a floating deck machine you can do it. however if you have a fixed deck machine just go and buy another one.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Why get the rid of the 36? Keep it. You may need it for tiny gates.

4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Another thought...

Will the motor on the 36" sufficiently power a 48" or will you need to get a more powerful motor? It is starting to sound cheaper to get another mower.

Mark

5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The only thing that I have noticed about the Metros is that the 48 length is supposed to be shorter than the 36..Don't know if that matters, but there might be some design differences that might make a difference. I wouldn't have anything less than a 15hp on a 48" deck.

6. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

How much is the new deck? What HP is on the mower? Will the spindles fit the 48 deck.Will the 48 deck fit on your frame. More questions but you have supplied very little information. Give us a clear thought process and we can help you decide.48" Toro about $3100.00.

7. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I haven't priced anything yet I am just trying to get some other ideas possibly from someone who has experience with this. I have a 36 fixed deck, 11hp honda, belt drive. Would an 11hp turn a 48? I don't have a clue. This is my first commercial machine and it's all I have used for the last 3 years.

I am considering just buying a deck and the associated hardware to convert to a 48 as opposed to buying another mower. I really love the 36 but I think it's time to upgrade. As for tiny gates there are not many gates here and I am not too keen on the idea of having an extra mower on my trailer getting beat up that I am not using. I don't have a safe place to store a spare and I realize that that I'm asking for trouble if my main mower goes broke but it doesn't work for me to have a spare at least not now anyway.

I am weighing my options at this point. A new machine is out of my price range. I want to be debt free as long as possible. Have any of you had experience with trade-ins? Do dealers seem to be pretty fair when you trade in? It just came to me as I was typing this. Just a thought.

Sorry for the long post.

Rick

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

rixtag,

No 11hp will not work on a 48". The money that you would spend on a new deck and a new 14-17hp engine would outweigh what it would cost for a brand new belt 48" w/ 15hp Kawi..... $2500 on a postcard I just got. On a SCAG WB you could probably do it as the engine deck is the same for a 36/48, but you are still faced with the horsepower issue. Did you price decks yet? They aren't as cheap as you probably think. A new engine will run you $700 to $900. Plus you are left with a real old drive unit that has an old transmission pullies belts and tires....etc...etc. Keep this one and go with a new 48", or better yet, step up to a 52".

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think that it would be cost effective. By the time that you purchased the new deck, less the salvage value of your old deck, you would be out a good chunk of money.

If you trade/sell your enitre machine, and purchase a new machine, your cash outlay would probally be similar to that of the deck swap.