1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing dixie chopper blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, May 29, 2004.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new DC and after 5 hours the blades are dull.Does this sound right.My toro will last all week before things start to dull up.
  2. southarkansascutter

southarkansascutter LawnSite Member

I have been running choppers for 3 years ...just bought a new 25hp last week.... I usually get about a week out of mine... even with dull blades they usually cut pretty well...... Almost put better than most ztr's ( bet that would have fired some people up)
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Mayor - I don't understand your question.
  4. primecutmo

primecutmo LawnSite Member
    from SWMO

every time i get a new mower i find new rocks with it in the yards i mow. does this mower have a wider deck than your last mower? it takes about a month for me to find all the rocks and stop dulling my blades quickly. also stock blades are crap. they are usualy made of sofer steel than aftermarket blades like gator blades. my advice get some gators and wait about a month then you will be ok.
  5. The mayor

That's what I am wondering. Are the stock blades crap? Yes I was using a 48" deck and moved up to a 60" but all of the places I was mowing I have been doing for years, so nothing has been hit. I liked the finish cut when I bought the mower,But now the finish looks like I need new blades already. Is there a aftermarket brand that holds up at least for a week.
  6. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

Once upon a time I designed and built a blade system similar to Meg-Mo's. In the prototype phase I bought "normal" blades and cut and drilled them to make my shorter blades. The kicker I found was not all blades from the same manufacuturer are the same. From a pile of blades some were real hard and difficult to drill the new holes and cut to length, others were like butter. It seems there is a flaw in the quality control. "Gators" had the biggest fluctuation in hardness and temper.
  7. The mayor

Funny that you should mention that.I came from a machine shop (18 years).Anyhow I made a jig for sharping blades.This way I could keep the angle the same every time.Some blades lasted alot longer than others. I just thought it was me for some unknown reason.I still have access to a rockwell hardness tester.Time to look into this a bit farther. There may be shotty quality control. Or it still maybe just me:)