Changing Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kenny6425, Sep 13, 2005.

1. kenny6425

kenny6425 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I have a question on changing engines in a Skag Super Z. It currently has a 20hp Kohler engine and I am going to buy a new identical engine and install it. Will this be more than a twelve pack job? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but don't want to start something I can't finish. Thank you all for your input.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

As long as you make sure the wiring harnesses are identical, and the rest of the important parts ie bolt patterns and such are the same, it will be a cakewalk.

3. kenny6425

kenny6425 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the reassurance. Take care.

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

it takes me one hour to switch engines in a walker

5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

yes, as long as it is the same exact engine it will be a quick and easy job. Even changing to different engines is usually not too bad.

Good luck,
    Doc

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I changed an 18hp kohler in my Z. and everything accept the wirng harness was easy. took me 2 hours the first time to take one off and put it back on. 2 gaskets broke on me within 10 hours of putting the engine on, so by the time I was done with fixing it, I was down to 1 hour total.

should be pretty quick as long as you have the same wiring harness. you could also upgrade between 18-27hp and have the same sump bolt pattern with the kohlers. changing to a kawasaki would take a bit longer, as the wiring and fuel lines are on opposite side, and you would have to re-wire the ground.

I can get a wiring schematic if you need it.

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Should have the 12 pack after the job, not before..lol First off.. Scag (not SKAG) does not make the "Super Z", Hustler does. Second.. Once you figure out what you have, the swap isn't too bad.