changing estimate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnfreak09, Mar 24, 2009.

1. lawnfreak09

lawnfreak09 LawnSite Member

I started a leaf job today and i got burned on it. I bid it to low. I just thought i could get it done faster and easier than i can. so my question is does anybody ever change an estimate after they give one. I know this will be a simple question to some. I have just never under bid something so badly:hammerhead: My first thought is no but just wanted to see what you guys thought.
  2. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Talk to your customer about it. Some are caring, nice & understand & will make up the difference. Others could care less. If the latter is the case, you kind of have to eat the loss, because, in the end, it was your mistake.
  3. lawnfreak09

lawnfreak09 LawnSite Member

yea that is my thinking, that i am just going to bite it. i mean he was very clear on what he wanted done and i gave him a price. My fault i screwed it up
  4. Edmonds Lawn Service

Edmonds Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I did that a few days ago on a mulch job. If the guy seems nice and understanding i would talk to him, be honest with him. Most people are understanding.
  5. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

If you gave him a firm price Id say chalk it up to lessons learned and let the customer know IN A NICE WAY that next time it will be more
    Dont feel like the lone ranger everybody underbids at some point
  6. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

We have all screwed ourselves on a bid at one time or another. Honor your bid and learn from your mistake.
  7. Sherry Lawn and Landscape

Sherry Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

yeah we did a clean up in the fall that took 10hrs 4 men!!! Huge property, way under bid that one. It sucked but the customer gave a "tip" $25 extra lol! Better then nothing lol.
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Ya gotta eat it. Lesson learned. It will happen again though. It happens to everyone once in a while.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, so long we gave the quote, unfortunately we are responsible. :cry:
  10. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member