Changing fleet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by traviswalker007, May 10, 2008.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 LawnSite Member

Ok,
    I have totaly had it with hustler, im finished with the lack of response and concern from the reps. My mowers are running like crap, keep breaking down, and im just sick of it. I need to know what would be the best option here, since my shop is right behind a john deer place should i switch to them or scag, its about .5hrs away, or kubota its about 20min away....need some advice. HUSTLER is out of the question, so please dont ask me wht the issues are or we could be here all night. I have 2 27hp EFI Kohlers, and 3 25hp Kawasakis and its issue after issue. Im looking for a 27 EFI Liquid cooled, so whos got the best one.

2. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

is toro an option? i have a 60in toro with 28 kawi with turbo force deck its been a amazing machine, have over 500 hours no problems what so ever.

3. davidcentralflorida

davidcentralflorida LawnSite Member

i like my grasshopper 329. power, l/c, responsive, durable, rides smooth.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Stay away from the new 800 series JD ZTR's. If your dealer has the 700 series those are proven to be good mowers. I wouldnt bother with kubota either. You seriously dont have any dealers of other brands near you? How about gravely, bobcat, exmark?

You could get a 260XDZ with the liquid cooled engine. XDZ stands for extra durability zero turn. Comes with the michigan suspension seat, 250ft/lb clutch, 12cc pumps and wheel motors, X-Factor mowing deck which is one of the best in the business and DOES NOT CLOG OR GUM UP in wet conditions and always leaves a carpet smooth finish cut and the hydro deck lift is very nice.

[​IMG]

Another mower you could look into would be the Exmark Lazer AS which has the UltraCut deck and you can get that with up to 28hp. The UltraCut deck is another tried and proven deck that you cant go wrong with and we all already know exmark makes quality machines.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

BTW whats the issues with your hustlers? I know you said dont ask but thats pretty much an open invitation for everybody to ask you. Im sure everybody here would love to hear all about the problems your having with the hustler mowers.

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

JD 800 series I don't think I would go that route. Grasshopper - very little knowledge of those machines. Kubota - I have used side by side against our Toro's - vote TORO. Is there a toro/exmark dealer close? Ferris or gravely? I have used these but I also need to stick with local dealers and not drive an hour away.

I have ran TORO's now for 10 years. Good machines. Very little problems and if any there minor. Expensive I think for the machine but great cut, great machine and you'd like it.

7. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

If the Scag dealer is that close I would definately get the Turf Tiger. Engine options are 27 kohler 52" 27 kohler 61" 29dfi kaw 61" 35 liquid cooled briggs 61" 31 fuel injected kohler 61" etc. Compare all mowers to the Scag. You will find that Scag is a great mower with alot of options. Bigger pumps,hydro coolers,suspension seats,flat free tires,adjustable deck baffles, driveshaft driven decks,adjustable handles, ROPs, great warranty, etc. These mowers are built to last. Simply the best.:usflag:

8. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 LawnSite Member

Both EFI engines stop running when they get hot, no codes come up. After I wash them it takes about 8 to 10 hrs before they will start. The Kawasakis run like crap, all 3 have been in and out of service on a weekly basis almost and no results. change plugs, filters, wire harness, u name it same issue. All the deck wheels keep ripping off, and some have actuall split in half. They bog down in heavy grass, spit and sputter. I have had 6 spindals replaced including bearings. The rep said i should balance the blades after i sharpen them???? wow...that will fix it. all the mowers are less than a year old with a little under 500hrs. sometimes they just shut down in the middle of mowing beacuse there too hot. rep keeps blowing smoke up my arse, tell me he wants to keep me as a customer. Anyways i switched to hustler from exmark beacuse they mow too slow, and they ride like a bradely fighting vehicle, the smmoth hydros and speed turned me onto hustler...nothing else...productivity is the key issue..

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like your biggest problem is the EFI motors. Maybe you should go with a diesel.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep! that what i have, turf tiger 52" liquid cooled kaw with almost 2000 hours on it and it still looks like new condition. i am high maintenance on my mowers cuz they make you the $$$$$. a little grease each week, change oil, clean air filter weekly, unless needed more often..only had to replace belts and spindles once so far. i will always remember the guy at the scag dealer said grease is cheap insurance for your mower and i agree!