changing from sae30 to synthetic w/440 hrs.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 17, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Will it hurt the 21 hp engine by switching from sae 30 to synthetic oil w/440 hours on it.

2. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone? guess I should stick with the same oil then and not go synthetic.

3. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

I would do it.

4. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

i'm not a mowing guy, used to be though, but i do have to ask the question...
    Last time I checked synthetic cost for a quart is $5-6 and conventional is $1.50 to $3
    Why would you spend 2-3 times the cost of conventional oil? Before getting into fert I chopped grass and changed oil every two weeks when cutting grass and every week when doing cleanups using just conventional oil. Changing oil that often and using an oil that is 2-3 times more expensive is crazy. Just my .02 though....

5. Elite LawnCare

Elite LawnCare LawnSite Member

Because you can go much longer on an oil change with out worries. Also peace of mind...plus I get amsoil from my buddy who is a dealer and just gave me 2 qt's for free:)
    Synthetic dose not break down like reg. oil.

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

No I have done it cannot remember exact hours, probably not that high, on a 17hp Kawasaki JD lawn tractor with no problems. Also did on my wife's car, 2000 Mercury Gran Marquis, previously owned, changed over at 40,000 miles. with no problems.

I am now running synthetic in everything, Ford F250 6.0L diesel, her car, Scag Wildcat, Honda generator, and powerwasher( only no pressure lube engine) and all the handhelds, using Stihl ultra.

Logic and a bit of a background in chemistry tells me synthetic is diesigned for its lubrication properties as well as stability, which is what the industry claims. As for my diesel, I think it has been shown to extend life of turbo bearings which is what I am after. I do not buy into the greatly extended oil change intervals, change the vehicles at reccomended intervals, for severe service, 5000 miles on truck because it is bascially a daily drive with some stop and go and fairly short to work distance, barely gets hot in cold weather here. There have been injector problems with early models of this engine, so my feeling is by keeping the best cleanest oil possible it will reduce any problems of which I have had none. I do run an aftermarket bypass filter the media of which looks like a big thick spool of cotton twine. The dealer's diesel mechanic could not believe what it had taken out the first time he saw an oil change after installation and agreed that it was an excellent idea.

My Scag with 26hp LC Kawasaki gets 25 hour changes which for me as a homeowner is about two changes per year, I also put Castrol 20-50 synthetic in the hydros. I am only starting the third season on this unit and have had no problems. The JD lawn tractor which I bought new in 2000 is still going strong, I kept it to pull lawn trailer around the yard as it is more convenient for this than ztr, and to move my utility trailer (7x12) tandem axel out to where I have room to hitch up truck. I found it impossible to manuver the ztr back to hitch up a heavy trailer. The generator , 20hp, gets two year changes even if not used, I stabilize fuel and run it about 15 minutes twice a year.
    Pressure washer does not have hour meter so gets changed annually, Probably only 3-4 hours running per year average, sometimes a little more.

Basically I want this equipment to last, it cost me a lot of money and is not used to make money, just for my convenience, as I like to take care of my own place myself, and oil even at 5-6 dollars a quart is not an issue as far as cost, especially if it helps reduce or eliminate expensive repairs of which I have had none.

7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, you sure change oil often.
    If I recall, the LC Kawa require only oil change every 100 hours and 200 hour for the filter. Why changing every 25?

8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Like I said on my ztr which gets the most use that's only twice a year, Cheap in my mind.

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it's used for higher tolarance engines.....

it wont hurt anything, however in some engines you may start leaking oil,

with todays EFI, engines last longer, heat being a major factor, we dont have to worrie about heat with most ZTR's,

The long and short of it, If It's what you want to do, Go For it....

some engine builders recomand NOT to use it, simply because of the higher tolarances.
    Lets face it, It's NOT everyone that can build an engine wiht 1/1000 of an inch tolarances, Not saying thats what it takes. But sometimes higher ratings are worse than being under rating....

10. blind04

blind04 LawnSite Member

just dont start off using synthetics with a new mower. you need to put 50-100 hours on the motor to seat the rings good. the rings will not seat properly with synthetic oil. you have to run petro based oil for the first 50-100 hours then your good to switch.