Changing from Toro to Ferris? GOOD OR BAD

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by perfectlawncare, Dec 9, 2005.

1. perfectlawncare

perfectlawncare LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I need some help. I run a 2005 Toro 60inch 28efi Turbo Force deck. I drove a Ferris IS3000 and it road great. Since I have back problems I thought it might be better for me. I have a suspension seat but my back still hurts. Does the ferris cut as well as the Toro Turbo Force deck? Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks in advanced

Jason

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We have an IS 3000. If you have back problems then a Ferris is what you need.

About the cut. The deck follows the ground better because its carried by the suspension and that decreases scalping. It hardly ever scalps. As far as the quality of the cut its pretty good. I've never used a Turbo Force but i'd say the Ferris does not cut as good from what i've heard about the turbo force. The ferris cuts good but in taller grass it has a hard time sucking up the grass that the front wheels mash down but overall i'd definately recommend one. If you can demo it and see for yourself how it on your properties.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

To me, the Ferris machines are nice.
    The only fault I can find is that the deck seems to lack a bit of vaccuum.

But making the choice between that and saving your back... well that's up to you.

I really like the info I have on the 2006 IS2000Z model.
    I can't believe I haven't heard any BUZZ about it here yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. L.A.Lawns

L.A.Lawns LawnSite Member

How Do These Two Compare With A Dixie Chopper.

5. perfectlawncare

perfectlawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks guys,

I ll will wait until spring to demo one. I wonder why Dixie Chopper and Toro/ Exmark havent came out with a supsension.

6. Travis Followell

from KY

If they did they would have to come up with something different than the Ferris because its patented.

In the spring i'm gonna try a set of super hi lift blades to try to get a little more vaccum to cut better in taller grass.

7. Envy Lawn Service

You might want to try the 3" wide highlifts also.

8. Cooper725

Cooper725 LawnSite Member

I have extensively used Simplicity, Husqvarna, John Deere, Dixie and Ferris.
    The Simplicitys were a 27 hp 60" inch Legacy XL, ans a 22 hp 54" inch Conquest, John Deere zero turns were 60" and 72", 25 hp 61" Husqvarna Zero turn and my 61" 27 hp 1000Z Ferris.
    The Dixie I cant remember what size it was only that it was junk and we only used it when one of the main mowers was down. In my IMO my Ferris is the best mower I have owned or used.

9. Travis Followell

from KY

I'm pretty sure its got hi lifts on it now. Their the stock blades that came on the unit and they look like hi lifts and their notched but I don't know if their 3" wide or not. I guess I need to get down and measure them.

Have you got any experience with the super hi lifts?

10. Envy Lawn Service

Travis... I have experience with most blades...

The trouble is I don't have the experience with them on the Ferris deck.