Changing Front Tires ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tagg, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

Just wanting to change out the front tires on one of the Scag TT's (2003). They are the 13x6.50x6 smooth tires. I thought that Walmart would be able to do it because they changed the rear 24x12x12 tires but, they said the changing machine would only go down to 8" tires. Is there someplace else nationally that can do it or is it just break them down by hand ? Thanks.:usflag:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't the front wheel rims come apart, as in it's two halves held together by bolts?

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we changed...or tried to change...the front tires on my bosses Scag and no luck. Those little things were impossible to do, and these did not separate. Tagg where is Muse PA?...we ended up taking them to Chester County Timber in Unionville and they did them...i would take them to a mower dealer and they should be able to do them.

4. Dirt Digger2

from PA

i also see you have a 584 for sale?...how much?...i just bought an 886

5. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

DD2 We are in the Pittsburgh area. I had Walmart do the rear tires on my Snapper WB last year, so I think I will try them again being the Snappers where also 6". The 584 is a 1985 with New Rubber all around with less than 2 hours on them. I just use it about 10 hours a year to mow a older hayfield just to keep the area clear. I really don't need it. I have it priced at 7800.00. Thanks.:usflag:

6. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

cut the old ones off and mount the new ones yourself.

7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some small wheels/tires filled with some sort of no-flat polymer. The tires didn't go flat, but the beads came apart and the tires had to be replaced. I ended up cutting the old tires off with a hacksaw.

8. Dirt Digger2

from PA

getting them off is never the problem...getting them back on is

9. laird006

laird006 LawnSite Member

Yup. Couldn't be any worse than those really tiny front lawn tractor tires or even worse some of the way oversized 4 wheeler tires I've mounted. Done quite a few.

10. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I bought the little tire changer listed in many of the lawn and landscape catalogs and it really works good. It don't look like much, but it's only about 25 - 30 dollars. It breaks them down and removes them alright.