1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

changing greese

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Mar 11, 2004.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

Okay, I'm trying to do all the tune-ups myself on my equipment.

My Exmark 48 metro hp manual says to have peerless transmission greese changed. This is a dumb question, but when I open it up, do I just add some, or do I have to get the old stuff out first?

Also, does anyone know a common retail chain with Mo-Deck or equiv.?

I'd have my dealer do a tune-up, but I paid $90 for two belts last year; he had none in stock and I had to pay for shipping. Also, where might I pick up the Kawasaki oil filter? I don't want to pay shipping for that, too. (ha ha)

Mike :cool:
  2. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

As far as the oil filter goes. Go to Wal-mart or any other discount store and pick up a Fram ph4967 or an AC pf1233. These are cross referenced from the Kawi filters and they will only cost you about $2.99.

As far as the grease, get out the old before you add new.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

O.K. Mike, since nobody is responding to your thread, I,ll try. The owners manual says' "change the grease". That mean's all of it with the 00 grease that peerless recommends. I would say that it is not neccessary to extract every bit of grease in the transmission. Just do the best you can without adding solvents or other chemicals. I will eventually have to do mine as well, just dont have enough hours on it yet.
  4. sgrprincees

sgrprincees LawnSite Member

I just took apart a peerless 700 on an old snowblower (there are lots of variations on it), and it looks like the shop just took off a plug that covered a hole in the top, and squirted some thick black grease in. There was no other grease in it, so I think that they must have cleaned it out with a parts washer, or dipped it in some solvent, without opening it (I could tell that the grease came in through the plug which seems stupid if they had it apart anyway). I guess what I would do in a perfect world is take it apart, use a paper towel to remove the bulk of the grease, then pack it about 2/3 full of fresh grease, being sure to smear some on the gears and chain. I don't know how easily it comes out of the mower, but if it is like taking it out of the snowblower I would just squirt some new grease in, without trying to generate any pressure inside. The internals on the gearbox were in perfect condition, unfortunately the pinion gear that drove the rear axle was destroyed, and a replacement costs $250.
  5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Just did mine a few weeks ago. I took out all the Bentonite, and used a lithium-based grease.(they don't mix, so I hear)
    I have heard too many stories here, to use a Fram. I use Wix # 51394
    (all KAWs the same). If you search, or if enough people read this thread, you'll see. Better to do a search on FILTERS, and learn alot more along the way.
  6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

i have seem a suction pump from bass pro shops for changing engine oil in boats. It sucks it out the dipstick tube, wundering if that might work to get the old grease out??
  7. locutus

from NC

It would have to be one hell of pump to suck out 00 grease.
  8. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

He he he I was thinking the same thing locutus, but I didn't want to say anything. (bad enough to try it on 90W on a cold day or even a warm day, as far as that goes) When people suck their oil out, how good would it get the "trash" out of, say a , oil pan?
    I mean, I always like to have the oil warm, and let it flush out any impurities. Just can't bring myself to suck it out. (but would be handy, if the crankcase was over-filled, to extract the excess)
  9. locutus

from NC

I agree, the particulate matter always settles to the bottom of the oil pan. Best to drain it from the bottom.