Changing height on a fixed deck w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Feb 21, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I did own a toro 32" w/b for a short period of time so I never really did have to change the deck but wanted to know how to change it the easiest and have a even cut. And is it quick to do or does it take a lot of time to change?

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Its not hard if there are two guys to do it. Have one guy hold the w/b down by pushing down on the handles putting the deck in the air. Have the other guys pull the pins out of the casters and adjust spacers to desired height. Its not hard at all once you get the hang of it.
  3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I can do it by myself with my 32" I just grab the front of the mower lift it up, take the castor out, rearrange the spacers, lift the deck back up and put the wheel back in and I done.
  4. kpetzold

kpetzold LawnSite Member

correct me if im wrong , but just removeing or adding spacers to the caster leave a uneven cut unless u adjust the bolts that hold the deck to the frame . karl
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

your owners manual should tell you how many spacers you can take out and not alter the cut. in my opinion fixed decks are the best at starting out for 1 simple reason. you can tell the customer that your mower was designed and placed at the correct height for optimum grass growth. you know, lie to them so you dont have to change the height on every single customer. :laugh:
  6. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats great I might have to try that next time.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep...scag 32" has three setting on the rear and those are tough. Mainly the reason we went with floating decks on the next round of Scags.
  8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Depends on brand of WB. Not all have pins like Toro.
  9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

When I had a Metro I used to just lift the front end up, set a jack stand underneath it and adjust the spacers.

Here in FL, with that Metro I only used it at 2 different heights so it was easy.

Personally I feel it was easier to change the deck height on the Metro than on my TTHP.....
  10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

you have about a inch before the uneven cut becomes a problem. I put the rear of the deck at the height where I can get a maxium cut of 3.5 and the cater can drop down to 2.5. I have never had cut issues with this method.