Changing hydraulic Fluid in tiger cub

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ajordan193, Mar 24, 2008.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

I would like some information on changing the hydraulic fluid in my cub. Does anyone have step by step instructions? Is it similar to changing the oil? Thanks

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cya.....

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I remove the hydro filter and let it drain.... then I fill the new filter with oil and install it... then add fluid to the tank (about 3 qts) then I put a floor jack under the rear of the mower and jack it up. Crank the engine and let it idle for and work the sticks forward and reverse slowly and let the mower run for a few minutes so if there is any air in the system it can be purged. Re-check the oil level in the tank and that should be it.
    I would look at the level in the tank now so you will have an idea how much is full....if you over fill it then so as you start mowing the oil will get hot and expand and overflow making a mess....believe me I know lol....been doing it this way for 4 years and having great sucess...my dealer told me how to do it....by the way ...unless something has changed since 04....takes 20w50 motor oil

wayne

4. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

Thank you very much. anyone know what filter # i need?

So all i need is roughly 3 quarts of 20w50 motor oil and a filter?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

I use a stens 120-372....that is for a 2004 tiger cub....and yes somewhere between 3-5 qts of oil

wayne

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Scag filter # 48462-01, I'm not into crossing to other brands but I'm sure someone will come along (Bill) and post others.

The hydro tank holds 2 1/2 quarts and the filter maybe 3/4 quart, I would suggest 4 just to be safe.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to complicate this but I just finished changing a hydro pump on a tiger cub. I drained the oil like they indicate. But since I had the two hoeses that go to the drive motors off I put some oil into one side(using a funnel) and rotated the wheel to pump it thru the drive wheel. I am shocked to see how discolored the stuff that came out. I took the hoes off both wheel motors and run oil thru them. Now granted I was trying to ensure that I got all debris I could out from the failed bearing in the hydro. Made me wonder why it wouldn't be a good idea to have some machine to force oil into and thru the system to clean it out good:confused:

8. grass_cuttin_fool

Yep kinda like a torque converter flush or something

wayne

9. CTservices

CTservices LawnSite Member

how do you remove the pulley on the underside of the pump? I've go the two 7/16" bolts out of the retainer, but no luck.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Use the same two bolts thread them into the other two holes in the pulley and tighten away...it should pull the hub down and loosen it. I still use a puller sometimes I dont' want to break those bolts off trying to get that hub to break loose but the bolts are hardened.