??changing Hydro Fluid Exmark??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by milsaps118, Apr 16, 2007.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to change the hydro fluid on my 52" Lazer but never done this before. Is there anything specific I have to do? How do I do it?

Thanks

2. milsaps118

No one here has changed there hydro fluid before on an Exmark?

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Hang on they will start.

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

this is one task I let my dealer do. It can be tricky to make sure you dont get air in the line....not worth the aggravation it cost me once when I did it

5. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

ya, don't do it. the hydro components are the most expensive thing on the mower. Exmark manual actually says don't change the oil, Just the filter and replace whatever oil u lose in the process, because you don't want to contaminate the oil at all. but U can still get air in there just from changing the filter. It only needs to be done once per year so just have the dealer do it.

6. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I have 60" Lazers, so I'm not sure if they are different from yours. Since the Hydro Resevoir is above the filter, I just remove the filter and all of the fluid drains out into the pan below. Once that's finished, just install a new filter and fluid. Mine uses exactly 1 qt of 5W50 Mobil 1 Synthetic.

I'm not sure if you can/should drain the pump/motors too, but I don't.

Your going to have some air in the lines. Just start the machine and give it a few minutes and it will clear up and you can move the machine. I just did all 4 of mine and had no problems.

Good luck and it's really that simple.

7. milsaps118

I also have a 60 lazer and my 52 has the exact same set up as the 60. One filter on each side with the reservoir up top under the seat. I'll change it my self, if I F*$K it up then I'll have the dealer do it.

8. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

when he gets air in the system and trys to move it are you going to pay him a $1000 bucks to replace his hydro pumps? it's not responsable of you to say it's easy. After you change the fluid U should always let the machine sit overnight and then jack up the rear wheels and very slowly go in forward then reverse at an idle. that will purge any air without destroying anything.

9. milsaps118

I changed my mind, just called the dealer and they are going to service it. HAYBALER made a good point.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Viking w/b. It is nine years old, and I have changed hydro fluid every off-season. It uses one quart of Mobil 1 15W-50, just like mentioned above. I don't know how different the hydro is on the Lazer.

With regard to air in the system, fill the new filter full of fluid before mounting. Others have said this on LS, and I have followed that advice. Put the remainder of the quart into the reservoir. When following this procedure, I have found the hydro to work well right away. There is no purging of air in the system.