1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing Hydro Fluid - Older Scag 52"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pgiambat, Sep 13, 2005.

1. pgiambat

pgiambat LawnSite Member

Hi All,
    I picked an older SCAG hydro 52" last year and have used it about a dozen times and need to get some maintainance going on it. I need to change the Hydro Fluid but I don't really know how. I'm sure I could figure it out but I want someone to give me the skinny on it, Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 kind of thing.
    Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with. It's an old guy and a little rough lookin but it'll huff and puff and cut your house down.

2. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

i just change holding tank yearly, take cap off tank,place a plastic bag over top of fluid tank held down with a rubber band, jack up rear of machine so wheels are off ground. loosen filter, remove bag, fluid will escape. if u let tank get too low u will get air in system, which is no problem too remove.if air is in system, start engine while rear is raised, engage drive forward and rearward. if wheels dont move spin the each by hand till they move on their own. been doing it this way for 5 years, never do a total fluid change, and be carefull to clean the holding tank thourghly before removing cap. u should fill filter with fresh fluid before installing a new one.