1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing Hydro Oil in walker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnPro in NC, Feb 21, 2002.

1. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Can Anyone tell me how much oil to refil and how to correctly refil the walker hydro. Just got it and did not get any books. I'm using dealer recommended Mobil 1 15 w 50. Since I have drained one and refilled it with less than 1 qt. already W/o Starting it yet To put it Blunt I need to know Soooon. Thanks.
  2. piesik

piesik LawnSite Member

The hydros in the walker mower hold a little less than a quart of oil each. They should be filled to the top of the plug on the top. The reservoir should have about 1/8" of oil in the bottom. That is it.
  3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

My book says use Mobil 1, 5w30.:)
  4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting point we have here......I have been meaning to email walker about this since the fall (have to before the spring). I bought what I needed (according to the maunual) to change all the fluids in the fall. I drained the hydros and went to fill with the 5w-30 that the manual says to use, and the sticker on the resevoir says to use 15w-50.. Since I already had the 5w-30 I used it. Thanks for the reminder......I am going to email them now. I will post back when I get the results.

PS LawnPro in NC : I bought mine used and called Walker and they sent me the tractor manual, deck manual, and service manual for free. Give it a shot.
  5. piesik

piesik LawnSite Member

mobile 1 15W-50 is the newest oil recomended. Go by the stickers, the owners manuals are not updated as often as nobody usually reads them. 5W-30 will not hurt your hydro if you already put it in.

Jeremy Piesik
  6. Rick Danger

Rick Danger LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I bought mine used and got no manual so I have no idea.
  7. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. The oil looked mighty dark so it was a ? of do u change it or do u keep on goin. I guess it 50 50 either way. So I changed it.
  8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have the manual with me, but I think it is every 1000 hrs or once per year, whichever comes first. But if you bought it used it is a good idea to change everything to avoid any questions. This way you are starting the season fresh and won't have to deal with it mid-season.

As I said before....I called Walker and they sent me all the manuals I needed for free.