Changing hydro sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURBAPPEAL NC, Jun 4, 2006.

1. CURBAPPEAL NC

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely 34Z and the hydros are very sensitive. I know this is supposed to be a good thing but, I wanna lessen it. If I hit a decent bump it will cause me to hit the lever harder. The hydros on these things are strong. you can do a willy by just pushing both levers forward quickly. I think if they could be turned down It would help me have more control and possibly save the life of the pumps and motors.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Cant be changed. Ours is very sensative also. How many hours have you used it? Ours has 400 hours now and it feels like second nature to us and actually my dad loves how smooth they operate.

3. CURBAPPEAL NC

Only about 40 hrs. Im sure ill get used to it. Even at the end of a row if I slow to quickly it acts like its braking and can tear the yard. But only in sand horrible turf which is most of my yards. on lush greens its not a prob. I already have the tire pressure pretty low in case you where wondering.

4. CURBAPPEAL NC

What blades do you run on yours?

5. ProStreetCamaro

We run the standard high lift blades on ours. Once you get use to it you will be able to slow down and turn with out tearing up the lawns. Actually ours wore the rear tires out at around 300 hours. They are completely bald now and you couldnt get it to tear up a lawn if you tried to. We are going to keep the bald tires on untill they start to loose air.

EDIT: Also does yours have a chrome dome looking hydro cap on it? If you answer yes I will tell you what you need to do........

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

What needed to do?

7. ProStreetCamaro

They had issues of the chrome peice breaking off like ours did and letting water or other crap in the hydro system. Gravely redesigned the cap to fix the problem. Go demand that they give you the newly designed cap before your system gets messed up.

8. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Actually, you can change the sensitivity. Go back to Gravely and have them ask Hydro Gear about this. Dixie Chopper offers a replacement bypass valve (that they get from Hydro Gear) that adds bleed off from the ports. This softens up the machine and makes it less sensitive and less responsive.

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

What is the color of the newly designed cap? Mine looks like regular stainless steel, the thread part doesn't look like being chromed.

10. ProStreetCamaro

Yeah mine WAS stainless. Its not the treaded part you need to be worried about. Its that damn tall stainless cap. The new part is a low profile plastic. I can take pics of it if you want.