changing hydrolic fluid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Evan528, Jan 29, 2000.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I recently purchased a new toro z master rider. It uses Mobil one hydrolic fluid for the hydrolic system. I have been told by several people that by changing the hydro filter and oil i am risking air getting into the system and screwing everything up a great deal. how do i change the hydrolic oil and filter with out risking air getting into the system. also does anyone no how often the hydro oil should e changed? dosnt mention anything in the manual about changing the hydro oil, only says to change the hydro filter after the first 8 hours then every 200 hours after that. this mower is a lazer with a toro deck so anyone with a z master or a lazer can anser this. any respnces would be greatly apreciated. thanx

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

The dealer services ours once per year in the spring. He told me he drops the filter and puts on a new filter full of oil. He doesn't actually change the oil from the lines, etc.<p>Based on what I know about hydraulics, the air would works it's way back into the reservior (if you want to call it that on the Lazer/Toro) and isn't going to hurt anything.<p>They key, of course, is to use the exact specified synthetic motor oil.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

so it is not even recomended to chanfe the oil, just the filter? that dosnt sound good for the system. should i just have my serviced by the dealer like you to prevent any problems?

4. Lazer

I would have it dealer serviced. It's not like it's going to cost much more.<p>The reason why the oil lasts so long is it's synthetic, making it resistant to the heat the pumps generate. It doesn't break down from the heat. It doesn't get dirty from combustion, like it would in an engine.<p>Another brilliant engineering move from Exmark.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

The synthetic oil will last the life of the machine. They dont recommend changing the oil since the chance of letting dirt in during the change and ruining a pump is greater than the benefits.<p>Fill the new filter full before you start, remove the reservoir cap and put a piece of plastic over the opening and reinstall the cap. Then remove the old filter after wiping any dirt away. When you install the new filter dont tighten it all the way, take off the cap and plastic and let some oil run out the filter then hand tighten, refill whatever the reservoir needs and replace the cap. Oh yeah clean up the mess!<p>Same reason the new GM products dont have a trans fill pipe with AT, also why the torque converters are sealed on most of the new trucks the chance of introducing crap into the system and plugging a passage outweighs any possible benefit of changing the oil.<p>Bill

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I caught that Lazer. I think they got the great idea from Dixie Chopper.<br>Evan, I noticed you said Mobil Hydraulic oil, most hydraulic sytems in mowers use motor oil. Another big reason the oil doesn't need changing is it is a sealed unit so dirt doesn't get into it. I have always changed my filters. I fill them to the very top with oil and screw them in. Raise the back end up with a jack and let the motor idle and hold the levers ahead to barely let the wheel motors turn the tires for several minutes. This is supposed to get out any air. Just don't let the wheels turn full blast. If there is air in the system and you run them full blast, you can burn up a pump in 10 minutes. Just make sure you put the right oil in and if your not comfortable with this procedure, let the dealer do it.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

7. Lazer

Eric,<p>Does Dixie Chopper use synthetic oil? No cooler and a tiny reservior? I thought that was an Exmark Innovation. I might be wrong.<p>Ya know, I used to run Dixie Choppers when they had 4 chains running to the drive wheels. Talk about maintenance! Did they change that design yet? :)

8. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

Lazer-<p>You are too cruel. Naaah! ;-)<p>John

9. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I changd the fluid in my Z Master a while back. First, I took the cap of the resevor and placed a plastic bag over the hole where the cap would be, securing it with a rubber band. Then take of filter and let fluid drain. Replace filter and remove plastic bag and refill fluid. Started machine and let run at a fast idle for about five minutes to get fluid circulating. This worked great for me.

10. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We completely change hydro fluids annually.

We drain the system, put on new filter and refill.

Then we run the machine still for a while then start operating the hydros forward and reverse while still up on jacks so there is no resistance on the hydros. Don't know the reason but I guess this gets the air out of the system

Again, don't know why we do it this way, we just do. Maybe have to rebuild hydros every 3-5 years or 2-3000 hours.