changing mowing height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bingham Brothers, May 17, 2007.

1. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

Do you change the mowing height for customers or do you mow all the same. I mow most at 3" inches but go to 3 1/2" for a few and down to 2 1/2" for a few. I picked up a nice account because the last lco wouldn't change height? Is it common to not change- i don't think it takes to much time- and I have a full schedule 6 days a week with a 3 man crew.

Also would be interested what is the most common height.

2. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I do just to get and keep my customers. It's quite a pain in the rear for my machine (Quick 36) considering I have to do it every other property.

Some want it high, some want it low. I think it's more important to keep the customers happy and find a machine that you can change the height easily.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

God I love my 2 second height changes on our ZTR's. I dont miss walk behinds thats for sure!

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I have everybody being cut at the same height. Mostly Bermuda and Zoysia in my area. I do have a few Fescue accounts, and have to adjust the height for those, but for the most part, I just try to keep everybody on the same page. This makes is sooo simple for my guys. I started the season out scalping down to about 1 in to 1.5 inches, and have slowly raised everyone up to 2 inches with a goal of 2.5 inches no higher then 3 inches. I used to have to change the height on just about every lawn, and that really sucked.

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Only for two, with some fescue . Both long time customers, 8-10 years. All new ones are the same. A long time ago I used to ask how high.Years ago. Now I cut it where I want it.

6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I cut where I think it should be ... haven't ever had a client say anything about it, so I guess I'm doing OK ... I try to keep my accounts on the same height.

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

you all should read some university turf results, They all reccomend cutting at 3-3.5 inches year round,( from their test plots.) Midwest and above.

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

3.5 unless it grows so fast I have to cut it higher to keep it from clumping bad.

9. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

We mow at varying heights depending on the time of year, condition and type of lawn.

We decide the height and it only takes about 2 seconds to change (ZTR's only).

Currently, we are mowing higher than normal because it appears we are going to have a very dry summer (March had the smallest amount of rain in recorded history).

10. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I change mowing heights but it seems to be mostly for the customers that want to try to get a free cut out of me.:waving: