Changing oil filter (mess)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mac43rn, Dec 4, 2002.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I have a exmark tthp with a 15hp kaw v-twin. Everytime I go to change the oil filter I always seem to cause one hell of a mess. Is there anything special you guys do to prevent oil from leaking all over the mower (from the oil filter)?

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

put a piece of cardboard or scrap sheet metal undr it to catch the oil runoff and direct it into your drain pan..... Or an old shop rag or something to absorb it as it comes out ...

3. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

I use a shop rag and turnthe filter a little at a time. That way not all of the oil drains from the filter at one time.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I always pull the drain plug and let the mowers sit for a while draining. It gets more of the oil from the filter out. I put a couple of rags down and let it absorb the little that comes out.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Im with hoss i pull the drain plug and let them drain untill nothing comes out, then take a shop towel and i usually catch the mess when removing filter, works very well.....Marks Mowing Service

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I drain the crankcase then run the engine for about 15 minutes until all the remaining oil burns off.:D :D :D

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

That would work too!!!:jester: :jester: :blob4:

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I tried that and the engine quit running after about 10 minutes, what gives?

MATT

9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine only ran for 5 minutes, made some real strange noise and quit running. Now I can't pull the rope. What could my problem be????? :confused: ED

10. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

Your rope is tooooooo tight. instead of filling it with oil just put a little in and the filter will last longer.:cry: