1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing oil in 3hp B&S engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KindGardener, Feb 16, 2001.

1. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I just picked up my 3rd mower (a 20" McLane w/ a 3hp B&S). This one has a horizontal shaft, like my edger.

Now don't laugh at this question... what's the best (neatest / least messy) way to get the oil out of the engine? Turn it over? The guy at the repair shop has some kind of vacuum (or siphon... though I dont want to suck on anything sticking into the case, thank you !)

What I did earlier was this...
    I flipped up - handle in the air (sort of suspendd from a chain to the rafter), opened one drain screw & let it drain into a pan. Any better way?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the drain plug and put an extension pipe in it long enough to reach over the edge of the mower deck. Then just put a cap on the end of the pipe when you are done changing the oil. Threaded pipes can be found at you local hardware store.
  3. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

one of the siphon devices that look like a grease gun.
    you can also clean dirt and junk out of gas tanks.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Most small B&S engines I have seen have the oil fill and drain hole. Some also have a drain hole in the bottom but they can be a pain. Just tip it over and drain it.
  5. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a pressure washer with a B&S 5hp engine. I also just turn the thing upside-down to drain the oil.