Changing oil on 61" Super Surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by promower, Aug 11, 2004.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I missing something, there has got to be an easier way. The oil drain is nearly impossible to get to, not mention you need a much longer tube then the one given to you with the machine. Anyone else dreading changing oil on the SS?

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, welcome to the club... I seriously wanted to beat the guy that rigged that setup too, the first time I changed mine! Unfortunatly, It looks like the only real solution is to remove/ loosen the bolts holding the engine on, and rotating the drain valve to face down.. Or better yet, remove it and replace it with a plug... The filter aint too fun either... Messy messy messy...

3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

As we decided to go with Exmark and not the Danes (for now), I'm not sure of the configuration of which you speak. What engine is on these? Is it a Kawi? Perhaps you could get a twist and drain like are coming on some newer B&S powered equipment from Craftsman and I think I have seen one on Snapper also. It is black in color and replaces your oil plug. When it comes time to drain the oil, you slip a hose on, and give it a little twist (with your hand) and the oil drains. When it's done, just push in and latch to stop the flow. Really, from a service shop side of it, I'd love it if all new engines came with something like this.

4. txlawnking

Beran, mine has aKohler 22.. it's got a little vale on the side of the engine that faces forward, toward the deck. Not only is it an ultra PITA to get to, it has like a knurled surface on it, I had to use a pair of channelocks to turn the thing, and it took like 20 turns to open it all the way, moving the pliers about an inch at a time!!!! Please, please, please post a pic of what you talking about, and where you get it.. It took me like 45 minutes of intense aggro to change the oil on mine, and I was Turbo pissed afterwards...

If, your ever unfortunate enough to do an oil change on one.. This is how you'll feel.....Hopping mad:blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you were closer to Taylor, I could order em for you. But since you are very far away, you could try greenshoes.com.

Here is a direct link to what I am talking about on their site.

Found it AFTER I tore the stinking page out of our Oregon parts book to scan it.

http://greenshoes.com/search.php?PHPSESSID=bfc742d1dc5a11b53a099b82e3824337&kw=45-118

$10 oughta be a minimal price to pay for something that'll make a job you fellas have to do fairly often alot easier.

They don't give much info on greenshoes. Following is the info from the Oregon book.

"Replaces Tecumseh #37651, Kohler # 27-755-14S.
    Oil drain valve with protective dust cap. Adapts to most engines 8 HP and larger, 3-8-18 NPTF thread. Connect 1/2" ID hose-to-outlet."

6. txlawnking

Thanks, Beran, will do... Too bad I still gotta lift the motor up to remove the junky old valve...

7. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

OIl changes suck on mowers, that's why I put a pre-lube system on mine. All I have to do is connect a quick disconnect hose to the fitting on the SIDE of the motor and put the end of the hose in a bucket. Flip a switch and the oil gets pumped out in about one minute. I also installed a remote oil filter so my oil filter hangs straight down. Takes about a total of 3 to 4 minutes to do a complete oil change. All so I can pump up my oil pressure before I start my engines. No dry starts. Not gloating here, just there are alternatives to a bad job. I change my oil every 25 hours so I HAD to have a better way.

8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL txlawnking about turning the drain an inch at a time. I took the back plate off mine, and used a needle nose to turn drain, for now it does the trick but what a pain.

9. txlawnking

Burn and return.. I wanna see pix... Sounds super cool.. Pro mower, thats the procedure.. What a Joke... I almost want to never change the oil, so the feeble 22 hp Kohler will blow up and give me a good excuse to swap on a 27hp Kohler....