changing oil on a 21"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by springover, Jul 24, 2007.

1. springover

springover LawnSite Member

Can someone help me figure out how to change the oil on a 21 inch mower?

2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

turn it on its side and dump it out.

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^ He said it. Make sure your gas is turned off (if you have a switch) then carefully tip it on its side and poor into a drain pan. Have some old rags near buy in case of any spills.

4. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Or you can just use the drain plug under the deck. Unscrew drain plug, allow the oil to drain out, re-install drain plug. I usually set the mower up on a couple of blocks and it works perfectly space wise.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This will work unless its a B&S...I guess it cost too much to add drain plugs so you have to really turn the mower upside down!

6. Juan_Deere

I have 2 mowers and a pressure washer with B&S engines. All three have drain plugs. It just doesn't look like a drain plug because you can't use a socket to remove it. The male part of your extension or socket wrench, that you normally place in a socket, fits into the plug. In other words, it is just a four point receptacle, instead of eight or sixteen point, and it sits flush with the case body. Hard to see with grass or dirt build up.

7. cgaengineer

I promise you will find no drain plug on my B&S that came on my Snapper HiVac...in fact the manual instructs you to turn the mower upside down. I am familiar with the square plug you reference (Same plug they have used for years)...but this cheap engine doesnt have it!

8. Juan_Deere

I doubt it doesn't have a drain plug. They just designed the deck so you can't get to it. So they just tell you to turn the mower upside down instead of removing the engine just to get to the drain plug.

9. cgaengineer

Here is a shot of the underside of the mower/engine:

[​IMG]

The two smaller bolts hold the case halves together and the larger bolts hold engine to the deck. I checked under the belt gaurd and no plug there either.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Also, it should be stated that most (in fact, likely all) Honda engines in the vertical config. do not have drainplugs and are supposed to be drained by tipping out the fill tube.

And yes, there are a few Briggs engines that do not have the plug on the bottom, or the mower equipment makes it so that it is more of a pain to get to the bottom plug. Which is why everyone should buy one of these http://www.yachtsee.com/pelaoilextractor.htm?OVRAW=pela&OVKEY=pela&OVMTC=standard

This place is the least expensive place (including shipping) I have found to get the Pela brand of these.