changing oil to synthetic

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 944own, Jun 16, 2011.

1. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

I did my first oil change at 5 hours and used a conventional 10w30 I was advised by my dealer not to use synthetic on the first oil change. I just did the 50 hour oil change and used mobil 1 10w30 is this enough hrs to switch to synthetic. The dealer told me everything would not seal up correct if I used synthetic on the 5 hour change but I cant remember when he said to switch to synthetic.

2. 944own

944own LawnSite Bronze Member

dont know if it matters but the mower is a exmark lazer with a 29 kawi

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

You will be fine at 50 hours as that is when I always switch. It really only takes a few heat cycles to break in an engine. 50 hours is more than enough to seat the rings and wear in the correct bearing patterns.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm one of the few folks who runs synthetic in engines right fresh off the shelf,
    from the very first fill-up all the way to the bitter end, then again I'm crazy.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

I put synthetic in my Kawasaki engine at 8 hours. The thing ran great for 2300 hours then it developed an oil leak.

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

My owners manual for my Deere (25 hp Kohler Command Pro) says that if you wish to use synthetic oil, wait until at least 50 hrs are on the engine before doing so. That's what I'll do too.

7. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

At least your honest.....:laugh:

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I put synthetic in from the start also. I have a 2000 Kohler 26 EFI that just turned 2000 hours. It does not use a drop of oil. Corvettes come out of the factory with synthetic in them, thats good enough for me.

9. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

what type or weight of synthetic are you guys running?

10. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member