1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

changing oil

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sparcolawn, Jun 30, 2005.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

How often/ how many hours should you change the oil in walk behinds and Z's?
  2. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

The owners manual on each peice of equipment should have the needed info for when and what to put in. If your running the equipment professionally then you may want to put an hour meter on the mower if it doesnt have one and keep a log book for each piece so you know when the next change is due and can track other problems as well.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We change the oil and oil filters about every 25hrs. Keeping the oil clean will prolong the life of your engine.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They are both nuts - The first one gives no real help, the second one is way off the rocker with too-frequent oil changes, that is a waste of customer money and contributive to the high cost of oil and fuel today.

I drive cars to 300,000 miles and beyond, and yes, my mowers and other engines do it, too (but it's not measurable in miles).

I run synthetic blend and change oil+filter once/season but the manual calls for oil-change every 100 hours, oil and filter every 200 (of course, the manual assumes you use a standard oil, not a synth).

The best way to change the oil is with experience, to know the color it has to be before it needs to be changed. Some fool with a 25-hour schedule, that oil has hardly turned color and it does NOT need changing, these people are contributing to the high cost of oil by wasting it thusly. Change it often enough and maybe seize an engine once or twice, and you know afterwards when you have to change it, always. I like it to turn color about halfway between new (fresh) and black (and I mean BLACK). It should be about a brownish but semi-clear tint to where you can still see the dipstick THROUGH the oil, if it's getting to where you almost can't see through it, now it is high time to change it.

Just gotta do it for about 20 years, then is no problem.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

One correction:

It really is up to you in the end, but the important thing is you need to remember to DO it! It is possible the guy who does it every 25 hours does that because he has no other way to make sure it gets done, and if this is the case, then better safe than sorry.
  6. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

I change the oil in my equipment about twice a month. I usually average 9 solid working hours a day 5 days a week sometimes weekends. So I'm usually puting around 50 (give or take a few) hours af working time on my equipment every seven days. So I change it every two weeks like clock work. And My truck I cahnge the oil usually around every 2,000 miles. Cause my truck endures a lot of stop and go, start and stoping daily in the city where I work. If you are doing larger yards and either doing fairly long drives or very little driving time. then I usually let it go a little longer cause there is not quit so much stop and start friction on the motors. But in the end it ultimately up to you. Hope this helps. payup
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Topsites must be off his Prozac again.......as there is no such thing as "too many" oil changes!! ;) "Too much" Fresh oil and filters will never be the cause of engine problems