1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Changing out exhaust question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

I have a Briggs 12.5 HP IC engine and would like to see how quiet I can make it. Can I just install a muffler from a Kohler? (The big black can type that mounts to the front of the engine) Space is not an issue as it is on a WB.

Have anyone tried different mufflers?
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem you will run into is that the mounts are not interchangeable between the Briggs and the Kohler.

I read about your projects through the link to your website in another thread, so if you are good at fabrication you could make an adaptor to retrofit the Kohler muffler to the Briggs. I know exactly what you mean about the Briggs being loud.

The quietest mufflers I've been around are the Honda mufflers. I'd try to use one of those if you can pick one up for cheap, as we all know, Honda small engine parts are VERY expensive.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I work for a honda dealer and even The small 5.5hp muffler is close to $100.00
    Your best bet is to repipe the kohler muffler.
  4. Cleanmaxx Brian

Thanks for the replies!
    Restrorob, that is insane! I may try the re-piping of the Kohler if the noise gets to me. Wont be to hard of a job...

You would think the aftermarket would be all over this! Would YOU pay say $35 - $55 bucks for a super quiet exhaust if it just bolted on? Would you pay for a "high performance exhaust if it made say a 10% gain in HP? Hmmmm what an idea! :cool2:
  5. rander

rander LawnSite Member

6. Cleanmaxx Brian

Great link!!! Do you have any experience with them? What application?
  7. rander

rander LawnSite Member

I have no experience with the Quiet muffler. I do a fair amount of buying from Jack's and happened to see the Quiet mufflers when looking around on their site the other day. As far as the company goes; I've bought parts, mower blades and supplies from them and they have always been good to do business with. Never had a problem with anything I got there, their prices are pretty good and they ship quickly.