Changing/Sharpening Blades on 48 Exmark Metro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pizpoppa, Nov 5, 2000.

1. Pizpoppa

Pizpoppa LawnSite Member

Its about time for me to sharpen/change the blades on my Exmark Metro 48 mower. I propped it up, was able to get to it, but I just could not get the damn things off. I must say, though, I am not the best with my hands. Do I need a special tool? Is it just really hard to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Put a pipe on the end of wrench.Mabe some grease
    on that one for next time or mabe an air wrench

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How long has it been since you had them off of the mower?

4. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

The first time this season (spring, summer, fall) ?

I heard if you use sharpening fluid in the spindles though, you don't have to sharpen them at all.

Sorry Pizpoppa.......couldn't resist. Seriously....

I do it the old fashioned way...I have a 2 foot breaker bar so my hands stay clear of the sharp parts and a crescent on top.

jeff

5. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

It is a rather simple process you loosen the bolts on the top and bottem of the spindle simultaneosly. Blades should be sharpened once a week at the very least, unless you only mow a lawn or two a week.. Hope this isn't the first time this year.

6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Two solutions buy impact wrench or goto your friendly neighborhood gas station and ask the mecanic to pop them of when you fill up your tank. I got a used mower with siezed up bolts and that was the only way to get them off.

7. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I also own a 48 inch Metro, to get the blades off you need a rather large wrench to get enough torque to loosen them, once you got them loose, the bolt just spins off. Put a little muscle into it along with a good long handle. Good luck.

8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

If a wrench, breaker bar or impact wrench won't do it use a torch and heat up the top nut then wrench it of, that should work. I've had to do that a couple times when someones hit something and bent a blade and the bolt got tightened up so bad I couldn't even get it of with a impact wrench.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the same problem on my Exmark Viing hydro until I bought an air compressor and impact wrench. I did it the hard way for a yr or so and then cut my thumb pretty bad. That was enough for me. It's a piece of cake now. When you sharpen everyday, I can't imagine removing blades the old manual way.

10. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

AIR TOOLS

an air impact wrench is a landscpers best friend, makes scraped knuckles and breaker bars a thing of the past. I wouldnt trade my air set-up for anything, it has saved me so much time on equipment maintnace. Deffinatly worth the investment.