Changing the cutting height on a fixed deck Scag . . . how hard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Curb Appeal Lawn Care, May 28, 2009.

1. Curb Appeal Lawn Care

Curb Appeal Lawn Care LawnSite Member

All right, I'm looking at getting a 36" fixed deck walk behind Scag. I'm buying used, and there doesn't seem to be many walk behind Scags out there with a floating deck. So . .

How hard is it to change the cutting height on a fixed deck??

I've never had a fixed deck before, this would be my first walk behind and I have to change heights fairly often between yards. I'd rather a floating, but really just need to get something. I just want to know if it takes a lot of time and tools before I blow money on a fixed deck.

Thanks for the feedback!

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

you could change the spacers on the blades which is a pain or to change the deck pitch oyu can move the spacers on the front casters witch isnt too hard

3. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned above, there are three was to adjust the mowing height, allowing you 1/4 increment movements:

First, changing the deck height, three screws on each side of the mower, doesn't seem easy, I believe this should be set once and they work from there.

Second, changing the spacers on the casters, which will adjust your pitch in 1/4 increments.

Third, the spacers under/above the blade.

How much adjustment willl there be between accounts?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I believe I would get an approximate height and leave it there on a fixed deck (maybe with the occasional 1/4" adjustment)

5. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

That's what I did, it takes me half an hour to change height.

6. TL Yardcare

TL Yardcare LawnSite Member

i have a fixed deck scag w/b and its a lot easier to change the height than you think. first, you want to find the correct deck height. mine is at the highest setting and you should adjust yours accordingly because this is the hardest adjustment.. all you need is a wrench and a breaker bar. then you can change the casters on the blades. this takes a few minutes and you want to set it at a fixed hieght because this is not something you change every job either. then lastly theres the front casters which take about 30 seconds to pop-off and adjust. my deck is the highest it can go so i can just adjust the front casters whenever i get to a job that needs a shorter cut.
    i had the same question when i bought my Scag, and i hope this can clear some things up. good luck:cool2:

7. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have an impact wrench, changing the spacers above the blade is not to hard. I can change it in about 15 minutes that way. There is a chart that tells you how to set the deck height and the caster spacer height on the deck of the mower too so that helps.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And with two wrenches you can change three blades in five minutes:confused:

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

This question comes up every year. There's a middle ground adjustment and you work from there, up or down with the front castors. After all, you won't be changing your heights as much as you think. The real question should be gear drive or hydro? My answer after owning 3 geardrives and 2 hydros, HYDRO FOR SURE. Tony

10. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

I have Scag 36/belt.

Determine ...your... AVERAGE cutting height.... use a blade height gage and check pitch for your cutting heights.

You want to change your frame mounting bolts only ONCE if required at all !!! Although it will be much easier the second time.

A nice battery impact for the blade spacers ..... a little stand to prop up the deck. And you will have a couple inch working rage for cutting heights that should work great and take no more than three/five minutes to adjust. I only remove one or two blade spacers from the bottom ever. But that's just me.