Changing the oil on a walker

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blimpguy, Aug 14, 2006.

1. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

I can't seem to get to the plug to drain the oil. Is there a special socket needed to get on the recessed plug ?

Tks
    Jeff

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

On most of them, you use a large allen wrench to fit the recess and remove the plug. Usually you need to dig the dirt out first so the allen wrench will fit in there.

3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

do yourself a favor, go buy a set of allen sockets this is buy far the easiest way to get the drain plug out.

4. blimpguy

blimpguy LawnSite Member

Thanks, i'll look for the tool today.

Jeff

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

On my Walker the allen screw is frozen in the pipe coming out of the back of the engine. The pipe can be easily unscrewed with vise gripes(sp?).

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Mr Ed
    Can you replace the original pipe using medium-hold thread lock at installation, then thread the inside of new pipe, and use Teflon tape on the new drain plug?
    That has worked for me.:waving:

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Mr Ed says yep....but I just leave the drain plug in place and unscrew the entire pipe when I drain oil.

8. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

on my walker the drain plug is right in the block. there isn't a nipple in the block.

9. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Same here on a number of engines.
    Problem is, this leaves the oil to drain onto decks, belts, starters and a number of other really dumb places. If you don't want to make a mess on the machine, then put a little bend and/or extension as needed.
    The oil may drain a little slower, but if it is warm the remaining oil should not cause a problem.

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

:nono: I do not advise having a pipe nipple to drain the oil on a Walker. At least not that allows the plug to extend past the frame. That engine is too close to the ground and subsequently close to curbs, stumps, rocks, and debris. Knock that tube once or twice and you will either loose the engine oil or break the engine case.

I'd like to see the oil drain on a Walker GHS get oil on the deck.:dancing: