Changing The Oil To Much

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RICHIE K, Oct 8, 2004.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I CHANGE THE OIL ON ALL OUR MOWERS ONCE A WEEK AND THE FILTER EVERY OTHER. MY GUYS THINK IM NUTS , BUT I HAVE A GRAVELY PRO 50 THAT IS GOING ON 13 YEARS OLD AND IT STILL RUNS GREAT. I ALSO ADD A LITTLE LUCAS. I BARLEY EVER HAVE ANY MACHINES DOWN. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK.

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :cool2:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Well I guess it certainly can't hurt anything but it looks like to me that it would cost you a fortune in oil and filters. I always change my oil at thr recommended intervals and havn't had any problems. You certainly can't go wrong adding a little Lucas to your oil because from what i've sen it keeps the engine parts coated with a thicker layer of oil constantly which dramatically reduces friction causing less wear on the engine parts.

3. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

PRICE ISN'T TO BAD. I BUY THE FILTER AT A REASONABLE PRICE FROM MILL SUPPLY. WWW.MOWER-PARTS.NET BEATS BYING NEW MOWERS ALL THE TIME, SOME OF THE OTHER LANDSCAPERS AROUND HERE BEAT THE **** OUT OF THERE STUFF. MY GUYS ARE TAULT TO TAKE CARE OF THINGS AS IF IT WERE THEIRS OR THERE IS THE DOOR....

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

There is NO such thing. I have never heard of an engine failure because of the fresh oil in it. I have several old mowers with plenty of hours on them, that are still as strong as ever, having their oil changed quite often. I have a 1986 chevy silverado 4x4 with 387K for mileage, with the oil and filter being changed every 4th sunday, mileage not mattering. I did it faithfully, every 4th sunday, since 1986. AND, it will be plowing snow again this winter in the Northeast. Again, there is no such thing as changing the oil and filter too often.

5. mikemerritt

mikemerritt LawnSite Member
    from MS

No, changing the oil often won't hurt a thing. It does increase the chances of something that happened to me a couple of months ago. I have done my own service work for 30 years on my vehicles and tools and never had a problem. In that I'm old hat at this and do 3 new cars every 2500 miles I was blown away when I almost blew it with my 02 F150. Drained the oil, R&R'd the filter, added new oil and fired it up. I dropped down to have a look under the front and low and behold my oil was pouring out from somewhere. Shut her down and back tracked and found that I had left the old oil filter seal on the block. With two seals it quickly blew them out. 3 quarts of oil blew out before I could cut the key.

Point of this is, change the oil as often as you can afford but NEVER stop checking the little things.

Mike

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Stop adding the Lucas oil and carry on with what you are doing!

Let me get a link about the Lucas oil and you can decide for yourslef.

Oil manufactures spend lots of $$$ on decideing what the additive package of their oil will be the best. So DO NOT put in an additive!!

Edit: - Here it is - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I was told by a owner of a tool rental company that he changes the oil in his rental equipment after every return and he has push mowers that the engine has out lasted a dozen bodies and frames. He was buying up junk mowers just for the frames.

8. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

I worked at a large nursery/landscape and lawn maint company. I changed the oil and oil filters in the mowers every other Saturday, along with the air filters. This did several things.. Clean oil of course, let me have a good look at things so I could order parts AHEAD of time and I could make sure the crews were taking care of their equipment. The push mowers oil got changed at every blade change by the crew at the shop. We had no oil related engine failures.

9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

On a side note... I now work for a global company that provides rental power, temperature control and compressed air systems to companies around the world. We change oil on an hourly basis. Just changed oil in one of our units yesterday... 158 gals of oil, 6 oil filters, 6 fuel filters, 32 pre air filters and 2 air filters. Hows that? Anyone want that bill?? LOL!

10. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ill take that bill if you also give me the income that beast produces......
    :dizzy: :dizzy: