Changing the oil

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by vandrv, Aug 29, 2002.

1. vandrv

vandrv LawnSite Member

I just bought an Exmark Lazer ZHP with the Kohler Command Pro 20 motor. The manual says to change the oil and filter after the first five hours. Looking at the motor it appears that it will be imposssible to do without gettting oil everywhere. I was wondering is there an extension hose of some sort that will allow the oil to drain away from the motor? I know I have seen John Deere mowers equpped like this. Does Exmark sell such a part? Thanks for any information.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Van,

Thanks for question.

The oil drain has changed a couple of times since the introduction of the Lazer Z HP and a fortunately they are getting better.

Current production uses a gold valve that is located just below the starter on the RH side of the engine. This valve actually drains below the engine deck helping to eliminate oil spillage on the engine deck. The previous design had a galvanized pipe that coming out of the engine to a 90-degree elbow that dropped to the engine deck as well.

Where it gets confusing is that both of these are fairly well hidden and nobody ever sees them the first time they look. Instead they see the square plug or female hex plug on the opposite side of the engine that will make a mess all over the engine deck.

Take a look at your machine and let me know what you find.

Thanks

Terry

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad to hear that you have improved your design on this. Now when you say it is gold, do u mean that it is brass now? Or just painted gold and still plastic? Cuz sooner or later, I was going to look into other types of these and replace it with somethong better. What is the part number for my 44" Lazer HP 19 Kaw? That is if it will work on mine. You know, sooner or later your machines are gonna be perfect if ya keep this up!

4. eXmark

Vibe,

As soon as I read you post I knew it was you.

Here's the scoop it's not plastic and it is steel and brass. The rotating part of the valve is brass. The body/housing is steel bit is coated in yellow di-chromate which gives it the gold appearance.

Thanks

Terry

5. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

LOL......Sounds great. I'll give it a look-see! Now what about that part number, If it'll fit mine of course.

6. eXmark

Vibe,

Kohler p/n is 103-1963 for the valve, no adapter required.
    Kawi is p/n 103-1965 for the valve and p/n 103-1966 for the adapter.

You can put them on machines not already equipped but you need to loosen the engine bolts, place a pry bar under the engine and lift one side to facilitate the installation.

Good luck

Terry

7. vandrv

vandrv LawnSite Member

Terry
    Thank you for the information. I went out and looked at my mower. The starter and oil drain you told me about were there but on the left hand side of the motor not the right. Or amybe it just depends on which direction you are looking. :) Anyway thanks for the info, this looks like amuch better spot to drain the oil. After all I didn't want to spoil the looks of my brand new EXmark.