Changing tire on caster wheel......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ATVracer, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

One of my front tires has a large hole and the tire needs to be replaced. How hard is it to change a tire on those little boogers of a rim? I currently have it plugged but it leaks out after a week. I already bought a couple tires from J Thomas, they are the regular type and not flatproof. Just looking for any tips to make this easier. Thanks!

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't tried to change them, but I'm guessing they're a pain in the butt and you'd be better off to take them somewhere to get them changed.

3. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I deflated mine while they were on the mower. Drove around the yard a bit...it knocked the tires right off the rim. Just don't drive around on the rim.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

alot of tire shops will do something that small for free.

5. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

cutting'em off is an easy way, sawzall, snipes, whatever. putting'em on is a pain in the a**, but you can do it. heavyduty screwdriver and alot of muscle. (never pay someone to do something you can do yourself)!

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

should have just got the whole run flat assembly so you dont have to ever do this again. just cut it off and lube the new one up with dish soap real good and go at her. why cant they just put split rims on the fronts?

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This is the key...dont let the tire know you want it off, if so you will be driving around on a flat all day!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the smaller rims can be unseated from the rim by squeezing in a decent sized bench vise, from there all you have to do is pry the tire off & replace.

9. ltw77

ltw77 LawnSite Member

The flat tire should come off fairly easy with a couple screw drivers. Your problem will be when the new tire is 4x's stiffer then the one coming off. I've done it 5 or 6 times by hand but it helps to have 2 people. Usually one to stand on the wheel and the other is on the ground trying to man handle the tire without tearing the bead. A couple screw drivers and some patience, oh and use something to lube the bead with as well. I think the last time I did it I used some simple green I had already mixed up in a spray bottle. Use sparingly though, too much and you can't hold on to it!!

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Try one of the companies that sells commercial lawn supplies like J Thomas. . You can find

a) foam filled wheels/tires to eliminate this problem in the future
    b) small tire install/removal tools
    c) replacment tires
    d) sealant

The tire removal/install tool makes it a lot easier. Some will handle trailer tires, too.