Changing Tire on eXmark TTHP

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by khutch, May 23, 2006.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Any tricks or tips to changing the drive tires on Turf Tracers?
  2. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

unless you have a tire machine, they are very, very hard to do.

The exmarks tthp use a rim with a big bead lock on one side (rim does not go deep). it is very hard to break the bead, and once you do, it is very hard to "pry" the tire over the edge.

I would bring it to the dealer, unless you ahve a tire machine.

good luck, Vinny
  3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i'd do 10 semi tires rather than do one mower tire. they are small enough that a regular tire iron wont work, plus they scoot around.i've used an air chisle to break the bead, but that generally ruins the tire. northern tool has a manual tire changer that i think works with mower tires, about $100, must be bolted to the floor.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I fabricated one of these;
    I used two pieces of pipe that slid inside one another and a piece of 1/2" thick flat plate cut round with a hole in the center that slid over each pipe and welded in place, For a foot I used a old jack hammer asphalt chisel 4" wide heated and bent into a curve slid inside the inner pipe and welded. I have busted many many tires with this including car & truck, ATV deep dish rims and mower tires. We now have a tire changer at the shop but this thing has more than paid for it's self before we got the changer because it only cost a little time to build from scrap laying around.
  5. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

i like that tool rob, never used one like that. i have a tire sledge...what a back breaker.
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

A little off topic but how do youmlike the 36" 52" turf tracer hp combo. I had a similar set-up last year but sold the 1 machine. I would like to get a new hydro though and the 52" tthp is probably where I'll be heading.