Changing tire on old toro proline

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EliteImpressions, Mar 27, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I just got tires and tubes for my toro. Ive never changed bike tire so Im not really sure how to go about this. I have two questions.

1. How do I jack up the rear end of the mower? Im guess jacks for a car but dont know where to position them to not harm mower.

2. Do I need any tools to take off the tire and to put on the new one?

Sorry for the simple questions but I never was allowed to mow the lawn when I was younger and didnt get a lot of hands on experience with fixing stuff. I just started mowing the lawn when I bought my first house and fell in love with it.

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I think the problem here is that your post is too vague. There are lots of people here that might be able to help you.

A Toro Proline with pneumatic tires could mean anything from a 32" walk behind to a big ZTR. Are you putting tubes into the front tires, or the rear?
    To be honest, I haven't had great luck with tubes, I see them as a temporary solution. If you don't have tubes and you get a flat, you can use a flat repair kit, right where you are, hit a service station and be on the mower again. Or even a can of "Fix a flat" will get you through, if you slice into a tube, you are toast.
    If you have your heart set on tubes, I should think that any frame piece would support a jack, and I think you could work a tube in easily enough once you pull the sidewall from the rim.

3. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Better off getting new tire. The smaller the tire the more of a pain in the arse it is to get the tube in and tire back on the rim, I have pinched a few tubes prying the tire back on.

4. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I agree with the tubes are a pain posts. I switched to the no flats tires for fronts and rears I dont even know of any tubes anymore. Try anything to get away from tubes as a repair is a pain and 1 slit and well your back at it again.

5. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Its the rear tire that Im changing.

It was the less money for 2 tires and 2 tubes instead of 1 flat free tire. Im only going to use the mower 1 day for about 5 hrs so I figured the tubes would be fine in this case.

I did buy a flat free for the front though.