changing tires...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Jan 11, 2006.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I had to cut my old tires off my Gravely 34Z and I'm looking for some advise on how to put the new ones on. Is there a way to do it without taking it to a shop with limited tools? wierd size rim 21x10x7

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

some things arnt worth trying to do yourself and this is one of them

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Is there a reason you went ahead and cut them off? Were they worn that badly? Doesnt really matter anyway because you wont get the new ones on without proper machinery, even with the right machinery, these tires are just an all around PITA to get on.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

You may be able to use some large screw drivers but be careful not to damage the bead of the tire. Use some liquid dishwashing detergent to make the tire slick so it slides over the rim easier. Then you may want to get some cheap grease to help take up the space between the bead of the tire and the rim so that they will inflate easier.Honestly I think if you dont have the proper tools, you will save yourself alot of sanity and go to a tire shop.

wayne

5. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

Yep, I tried the dishwashing soap and a bucket of sweat :dizzy: Thanks for the advise I will take them in tomorrow, and yes they were bald and not worth saving.

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Spend the 30 bucks and get a set of tire spoons, you will have them to use for life! Ivory soap, or any liquid soap works the best for seating the bead and making everything slick enough to slide over the rim.

The biggest tip is VICE-GRIP locking type pliers. 2 of them. getting the rim thru the tire on one side is easy, just make sure you put the right side in first. One side usually has less flat portion behind the bead than the other. You want that side up. (if that makes any sence...) swab some soap around the tire bead and use 1 tire spoon and pull a section of it under the rim. Don't remove the spoon, clamp your 2 vise-grips on the edge of the rim as far apart as you can so they are holding the tire bead from coming back over the rim. You can pull your spoon out and then move on to another section. Don't try to tak too big of a 'bite' at once. Once you pull the next section under the rim move one locking plier around. Continue around the rim... The last section will be harder, use your foot to push the opposite side of the tire bead down far enough so it clears the flat portion of the rim, thus giving you the maximum amount room on the other side. It should slip over easy. Remove your pliers and add air!

Make sure your rims are good and clean before you start.

Someone needs to post some pics of the process... I always thought I couldn't do it either until I found some of the tricks. Big screwdrivers can work if it's all you can get but sine they are straight it's hard to operate them and you have to be careful you don't stab a hole in the sidewall with the corners of the screwdriver head!

7. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A buddy of mine that works on a golf corse has one of those from harbor freight. What we found is that you need to be able to mount it onto something that's SOLID. The best would be if you had a place you could bolt it to your concrete floor or a very very heavy workbench. Since his was on a stand he had it just moved all around and was worthless... lol! So he just takes his tires to a tire place that one of the residents of the community owns.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Yhea it looks like it has mounting holes. I'd have it bolted or weled to something heavy.

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Think out of the box. Buy the cheap changer from harbour freight (Princess Auto) then weld a trailer hitch receiver onto it so you just plug it into the back of your truck and you have a portage solid tire changer.

I take mine to a tire shop... Lazy.