changing tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Sep 24, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Changing tires is getting old real fast. I just bought a tire changing machine from j.thomas and it worked good to get the tire off but not so easy getting them back on. One of my mowers have zero flat tires and the ride is not so great so i wanted to stick with the air tires but the amount of flat tires and the hassle of chaniging them is getting to me. Is there a shortcut or an easier way to change them. I want to stay with air tires (for comfort). Is it worth the hassle of changing them yourself or just get it done at a shop.

2. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to be a smart aleck, but it seems as if you should be trying to find out why you're getting so many flats. We had a bad hailstorm in VA a few years back that did a lot of damage on roofs. There was a period of 6 months or so where I'd get a flat a day from roofing nails, but since then I may get 1 or 2 in a season. Am I just lucky or is this about right?

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree eslanwns. I bought a set of back tires and rims from my dealer that had been filled at the factory with some sort of tire seal, 3 seasons ago for the old Chopper and they haven't been flat yet. The front ones I replaced too, but they aren't filled, but still no flats. The new Chopper has it in all 4 tires and no problems either.

4. bdemir

We are very rough on the equipment. Me and my employees. Up an down hills with terrain that has many many mole holes on some of the water plants that we cut. It is all day dumebuggy style of cutting the grass is not sod it is seed and the ground was a cheap lanscape job with big stones and debris still in the soil. If you rode some of our jobs and seen the amount of cutting we do you would see why. I dont think i can change all the turf or the route. But my i have gone through a set on all the mowers so far this year just to give an idea of how much they vear out. We also have al ot of concrete riding bettween jobs. There just is no way around some of the flats. I bought accounts and I am running silly trying to cut them all. i dont recommend this to anyone. I learned the hard way but i did get many good accounts and learned the business by nignt (not so good
    ) and took a dive into a nice mess but i am happy.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Soap the rims and bead up good, that will help.

Try a flat-pruf sealant inside the tire that might help.

You could use tubes in your tires, then even moderate cuts and the tire will still be good to go.

When I worked at a mower shop almost 20 years ago we didnt have a tire machine just a drawer full of old screwdrivers to use as tireirons and we had a propane burner setup, like the old-time plumbers lead melting pot burners, with a big kettle of hot water when we had to do a tire (esp the solid rubber ones on the old reel mowers) the tire would get a two minute bath in scalding water, then you could almost get em on the rim with no tools at all.

6. bdemir

Lawnguy,

Thanks for that great advice that sounds like it would make it so much easier for putting on new ones but i wonder if that would make the tires too soft or a possoble deformation.

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

there are several different types of foam or rubber that you can have your tires filled with. I have never used a mower that has been filled but advertisers claim that the softest rubber does not affect ride quality, although i do not see how it wouldnt.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You should have no problem, maybe 200 degrees at the hottest then they cool off a bit while working them.

9. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

you must try a soft flatproofing fill. It must be 8 durometer or less. Your tires will ride like air and you flat tire problems are over for as long as the tires last. Imagine not having to check air pressures every day!
    Any fill harder than 8 durometer is too hard and your equipment will break down.