changing tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeymike, Jul 11, 2003.

1. mikeymike

mikeymike LawnSite Member

Curious to know if anyone has changed their own tires on their machines? I need to replace the drive tire on my 36" snapper WB. Looks like I can possibly do it without taking the rim off the machine by breaking (letting the air out and use a clamp) the tire
    with it still on the rim.
  2. They're not that hard to take off.
  3. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we change all our own tires on mowers. It would be much easier to take it off the machine. Let air out and remove core in stem, usually can stand on side of tire to break bead (sometimes have to hit it with hammer (tire)), once bead is broken use 2 pry bars to pry tire off rim. Put new tire on in reverse. use a strap or rope around center of tire to compress to make sides buldge out. add air and bounce tire around or manuver sidewalls till all sides touch and tire starts pumping up. remove strap and fill tire to max pressure. Make sure all sidewalls are situated correctly. Sometimes you have to let the air out and refill to get a good seat.
    We use do this on the large farm tractors and machines also.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The strap around the middle is a good tip for seating the tire. At the shop I work at, we use a large blunt chisel (blunt wood splitter would work too) to break the bead. Even with that, they're tough to get loose. You should hear the mechanics cuss when they get one with "Slime" in it! It's almost as bad as when they get a mower with dog poo on it. Ahh, the good life. I just watch!
  5. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Bought one of those mini tire changers from Northern Tool. Had my doubts about weather it would work. They are great. Takes almost all the work out of it. I've changed these little tires with pry bars before and it wasn't easy. Bigger tires are easy since there is something to stand on. Easiest way to break a stubborn bead is to remove core stem and run the machine around the shop/your yard for a little bit. If your lucky the tire will also slip right off the rim too but sometimes it slips to the machine side and thats a problem.
  6. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

To break bead if stuck put tire not rim under car or trailer an run over it . That's the only way to grt them off at home sometimes .
    I think it's a pain in the **^# , so I try to take them to a garge.

Steve Snider
  7. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

For $10.00 it is money well spent to take it to a tire shop and they can do it in about 5 minutes.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. The larger ones aren't too bad, but the small ones like the smoothies are a pain. I just take them to Kan Rock and have them do them. They will put a new tube in, or a vulcanized patch for 5 - 7 bucks. Well worth it.:)