Changing to a different make ZTR would like input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by L.L.Care, Sep 4, 2006.

1. L.L.Care

L.L.Care LawnSite Member

I am using the Scag Tiger Cub (48" cut with the 19hp Kawasaki) at present but am thinking of trying out the Exmark or Hustler. What do y'all think I should do. :confused:

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Get the Z 2 their service is beyond reproach!
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I have nothing against Scag, they were just not as comfortable for me personally. I think you should take your time and demo each one. I like my Exmark and Hustler and they have a good reputation in the Southern grasses where you live. The Hustler is a simpler design but more comfortable than the Lazer and priced less. The Lazer has more options as far as engines go. You will have to test them on local grasses to see which one gives a better cut there. What size mower are you looking for?
  4. CBB

CBB LawnSite Member
    from MS/LA

Demo both of them. There are some good dealers in your area for each.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

AND - get a diesel - you will thank me later. :weightlifter: :usflag:
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about a diesel on a 48, but a 19hp on a 48" deck is fairly underpowered in my opinion.

I have the scag z-cat 36" with the 19 HP and that rocks, but another 12 inches would bog that thing down.

I ran a 48 for 4 days with a 19HP when my dealer loaned it to me while he fixed my 60". On almost no lawns could I run at full stick without bogging.

If you are gonna stay in the 48 range I would go with a 23 HP and watch productivity go up.
  7. par69

par69 LawnSite Member

I had a Hustler fasttrak 52" 20 hp Honda. It did a ok job. For the price it did a good job. It last me almost 5 years. About 15 hours a week. 6 to 7 months a year. But it didn't cut very well were i ran over it with the wheels.

I just bought a John Deere and I love it. But I had to go with the bigger deck so I could trim the edge easier. I have the 60" mulch on demand and it works great. They do make 3 different size bodies. I have the middle one 757.

The John deere cost twice the price. But I think it will cost me the same per year. I hope it last longer and will be worth more when it is time to sell.
  8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Personally I like exmark the best. I have demoed toro, scag, walker, and exmark and liked exmark the best. I use only exmark now except for an old toro 21'' which will be getting replaced with an exmark 21'' soon.

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Get the Z2!
  10. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I would demo a John Deere. I was skeptic untill my dealer made me take one and trust me it mows the best out of any mower out there period!!! Dont believe try one, but Im north with cool season turf so I cant say about warm season turf, but im sure it will do great, and they stripe really nice!!!