Changing to synthetic oil in hydro's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bush Hog, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Bush Hog

Bush Hog LawnSite Member

I have a Bush Hog M2561 ZTR that comes with 20W50 dino oil in the hydro system. I am changing the hydro oil filter (100hrs.) and thinking of changing out the oil to 15W50 Mobil1. The service dept. at the Bush Hog factory even told me it would be a good thing to do. That being said, my question is. Will there be any noticeable performance increase in the operation of the hydro system?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am pretty sure that by using the mobil one that it just protects better and longer, not gives better performance. None of my equipment had performane increases when I switched to Mobil 1. That is the only oil I will use now though. A lot of equipment manufacturers will now void warranties on new products if you don't use the stuff. I wouldn't see a downside to it. It may be more expensive, but it adds life to your equipment. Sorry for making this so long!

3. Bush Hog

Bush Hog LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I was just courious about any improved performance. The tech at Bush Hog said that synthetic was slicker and ran cooler than the dino oil. It makes you wonder why they don't use synthetic to start with. He also told me to make sure that I removed the hoses at the wheel motors to drain all the dino out of the pumps, hoses & motors.