Changing Tranny Fluid

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FearThisDeere, Aug 23, 2006.

1. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting ready to trade in my '93 Chevy 1500. It has been sitting for a little while and I have not changed the tranny fluid since the beginning of plow season, so I think i should change it just to be safe. I do not have amanual for the truck. I am pretty sure I know how to drain it, but how do you fill it back up and how to you know it is filled all the way or where it should be? Also, what is the best brand to use? Sorry for the dumb questions.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

You have to fill in through the transmission dipstick. Usually its a test and see thing to know its full. You need to have the engine running and the tranny warm and pull the dipstick to see if it is full or not and add till its full. also put the tranny in fwd and rev some to make sure the fluid is flowing through out the tranny. I should add that it will prob take from 4-6 quarts of fluid

wayne

3. FearThisDeere

Thanks Wayne. It is a 5.0 auto. About where should I look for the dipstick in the engine bay? I haven't even opened the hood to check it out. I am too lazy to go out to the garage. Today was building a stone wal day. What a PITA, well pain in the back and the finger I jammed between two large rocks!:cry:

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

standing in front of the truck looking at the engine, prob on the right side next to the firewall. some one jump in and correct me if Im wrong here

wayne

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Probably deep on the left side, could be right but I doubt it. Those suckers can be a PITA to find sometimes.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

are you dropping the pan out and cleaning that all out or are you just draining and refilling?

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You have a 5.0 chevy?

:)

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 95 chevy with a 5.7 in it and the trans dipstick is on the left side of the motor when looking from the front of the truck. If you are trading it in, why are you changing the fluids? I usually do that when I buy a used truck, not when I get rid of one. Or did I read your post wrong?

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Dipstick should be left of center close to the firewall. When you pull the pan, watch yourself. I almost dropped a pan of hot fluid on myself once, that would have been bad news.

10. FearThisDeere

I'm not going to be dropping the pan as I am trading it in. It has been sitting for close to 4 months now. The dealer is only 40 minutes aways, but I don't want to take the chance of anytranny trouble. A few bucks on tranny fluid is better than no trade in! Yeah, it is a '93 5.0 305 Chevy. What is worng with that lol!? It is the best engine I have ever owend. Thanks for all the help. I am going to get right on it this morning and see what kind of deal I can get on the new used truck!