Changing Walker Hydro Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Took a quick look last night at changing the hydro oil in my model T Walker. This is the first time I have done it. How in the world do you get to the drain plugs!!!! I will take another look in better light today, but at first glance it looked about impossible without some major disassembly. If I can save some time by utilizing some tips from you all that have done this before, I would surely appreciate it... Thanks!

Also, I am planning on using Mobil 1 as a replacement......what weight should be used.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not a problem, I do it once a year. You have to take the deck off and get some auto ramps. drive her up the ramps and at the bottom of the Hydro pumps is a drain plug( don't remember the size 9/16 or 5/8 guess) There is an identical one on top of the pump. Make sure that the area on top is clean. VERY CLEAN. Remove the top plug, and then the bottom. It takes about a quart of oil. While you are under there you should also change the gear oil in the gear axles that are located by each wheel. I put Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in those. They have hex head plugs on the top and bottom also. I don't remember the size but I know a hex socket will be handy. The plugs on the newer machines have little magnets on them and every year they are full of shavings.
    The last place is the PTO transfer case, hex head plug on the bottom. You will either need a hex socket on an extension or be prepared to fill thru the dipstick hole for a long time on this guy. I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in there too.

The key to it all is to take the deck off and use the ramps. Make sure that you have it blocked and you have a secondary safety like jackstands in case something goes bad. Let me know if you get it. Good Luck.

3. Westbrooklawn

MowEd -

Thanks for some very good instructions. I will probably tackle this project tonight and let you know how I make out.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

This is a very good preventative maintenance item to take care of before the season really gets rolling. Let us know how you make out.

Gravely_Man

5. Westbrooklawn

MOW ED -

Thanks for the great advice. The only thing I did different was after driving up on the car ramps I used a floor jack to raise the back end up to make the mower level.......thought everything might drain more completely.

I changed the hydro fluid with mobil 1, and changed the gear drives and pto with mobil 1 synthetic gear lube. The entire thing took about 1 hour. Very easy job!!!

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Glad that this worked out for you. You equipment will be thanking you when the hot weather hits!

Gravely_Man

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a syringe to suck the oil out, it saves a mess. You should be able to get them at a drug store, I use them for lots of other stuff too. No not drugs.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Glad it worked out for you. That is a maintenance item that I do at the end of the season. I guess I could have mentioned that I put the car ramps at the end of the sloped driveway and as I go up it stays relatively level.
    Did you have little magnets on the wheel gear box plugs?

Its is a great PM thing to do. I always do it at the end of the season so fresh oil is sitting over the winter. Good Luck with the mower.