Changing your own truck oil???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vikings, May 11, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I may start changing my own oil, I have three vehicles.

Would anyone recommend it? Ramps, filter, and oil... how hard can it be?

Is it worth the trouble or keep going to the Super Lubes?

Another thing, when a truck is up on a ramp, the vehicle is not level, will the oil still drain out?

2. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I totally recommend it. Then you know for sure what was done and the quality level of the oil & filters.
    You might not even need ramps for a truck, depending on how high it sits and filter location.
    An oil filter wrench is handy too, in order to get off "stuck" filters. You MIGHT need different sizes, depending on the vehicles. You don't need a wrench to reinstall the filter. ALSO, use a BOX wrench on the drain plug(s).
    Something else I recommend is to change the drain plug washer every other oil change. For my Honda, they were about 3 for a $ and I never had drips in my driveway.

3. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to sound rude, but if you need to ask these questions, keep taking it to the super lube.. Changing oil is a peice of cake. If your skinny enough, you shouldnt need to lift the truck at all.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I do all my own oil changes. I don't trust those jiffylube people to do it. They tend to leave the oil plug loose.

5. Vikings

from canada

Canadian tire put oil for a 4 cyl. in my Ranger but I have a 6 cyl. a week or two later my oil light would blink on when I went around a corner.

6. Vikings

from canada

One of the things that was holding me back was what to do with the used oil but now I know I can take to the garage and leave it in their back compond.

7. Vikings

from canada

Yeah, they always try and upsell me to more expensive oil and filters so it makes me wonder what I'm getting.:laugh: I want to use GTX oil.

About those gaskets, I suppose I should pick up some oil plug gaskets... I actually didn't even know they had them down there till I read up on it at Ehow.com.

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Along with what Bill suggested, If the filters stand straight up or close to it pre-fill the filter with oil before installing it and don't forget to put a thin coat on the seal to aid in removal at the next change.

I went to NAPA and for around $15 I bought both small and large filter wrenches as below. They are much easier to use with different length extensions/universal etc.

Also, The oil will drain just fine up on ramps.

Oil Filter Wrench.jpg

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to add:
    Drain pan. A plastic "wash tub" type works fine. IF you have a diesel, make sure your drain pan is LARGE.
    Funnel.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Heck, Lets go for broke....Don't forget your large tub of GO-Joe with Pumice and a couple cheep hand towels so the wife don't chew you a new one for messing up her good towels. :laugh: