Changing ZTR hydraulic fluid

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Green Boys LawnCare, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Green Boys LawnCare

Green Boys LawnCare LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how you change the hydraulic fluid on your zero turn, and how often you think it needs to be done? I am not sure how to get all of the fluid to drain. Also, I'm wondering if you need to bleed the air out once you re-fill, like you do for brakes. Thanks you.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Brand AND model/serial numbers off your unit would help, As with any hydro system it must be bled after a fluid/filter change.

3. Green Boys LawnCare

It's a Ferris 1500Z. 25hp, 52" deck. Thanks for the help.

4. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the manual?

5. Green Boys LawnCare

Yeah, the manual doesn't tell you how to do it. They probably want you to take it to the dealer.

6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you bleed the system?

7. Restrorob

I'm unfamiliar with Farris but if the filter(s) screw to the bottom of the hydro tank it will drain once the filter is removed. If they aren't there should be a drain plug on the bottom of the tank.

Always fill the new filter(s) with oil before installing, Once the system is re-filled raise and block the drive wheels off the ground. Start the engine and run about 3/4 throttle, Move the controls full forward then full reverse slowly 8 to 10 times then re-check fluid level.

Set the unit on the ground and test run. I use this method on all brand units with no problems.

8. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

What I have always done is put a drain pan under the pump filter and unscrew the filter and allow some of the oil to drain until is stops. You dont have to actually change all the oil because it doesnt really go bad, its the filter that needs to be changed and it should be done at least once a year. Pour some new mobil 15w50 synthentic oil or whatever it calls for into the filter to make sure most of the air is out of it, but it isnt necessary. Once you change the filter start the engine and run the mower forward for a while and backwards for a while slowly. You will probably hear a screeching noise or have low power in the drive for a few minutes, then it will clear but remember to run the mower very slowly. Once the noise and the drives feel normal, check the resivor and fill it a little. Run the mower for around ten minutes or so and check the oil again and fill it, but dont over fill it because when the oil gets hot it will over flow and make a mess.

9. Restrorob

Do you know what is causing this screeching noise and what is happening to the inside of your pump when this goes on ?

ALWAYS raise the drive wheels off the ground to purge air out of the pumps/system first before putting the pumps under load.

10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Restrorob, how important is is to have the machine clean?