chanin on chain saw keeps getting loose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Apr 9, 2003.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

evertime i use the saw the chain seems to get loose. Is this normal. It happens mostly when i cut big logs. I figure its a safety to help lengthen the chain life but not sure.

Bedros

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Its normal for a chain to stretch alot the first time, but less and less the more you use it, If it keeps stretching alot, could be your oiler not putting out enough.

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Are you picking up on the nose of the bar before tightening it down?? The little bit a chain stretches shouldn't make it overly loose.. How is your drive sprocket, if it is excessively worn you will not be able to maintain correct tension.
    BobR

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Many good ideas already given. Here they are again with some further explanations:
    1) Use only chain and bar lubrication in the oilier and not motor oil. With the chain and bar removed start the saw up and you should have a good stream of oil coming out of the oilier hole while the saw runs.
    2) When tightening the bar after adjusting the chain make sure that you are wearing gloves and lift the nose of the bar up while tightening the rear bar nut first. This will help take some of the slack up in the chain.
    3) Do not over tighten the chain as they will cause excessive wear on the bar, chain & sprocket and cause the saw to have to work harder.
    4) It is quite normal for a chain to stretch the first time you use it. To get the most life out of a chain as possible soak the chain for entire day before you use it. The chain should be soaked in chain and bar lubricant.
    5) Visit both arborsite.com and oregonchain.com for further tips.

A chainsaw is a very dangerous tool so please always be careful when using one.

Gravely_Man

5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

THe sprockets on the bar and/or shaft could be worn out and need replacing too. I agree w/ the above postors!

7. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Flip your bar over every time you sharpen your chain, it helps the bar wear evenly.

Adam

8. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

I will take it apart this weekend. I think the bar has worn causing the chain to stay loose.

Bedros

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

are you out of adjustment?, if so you will have to have a link taken out of it, if its still got some teeth left, might have to breakdown and get a new chain/bar combination.

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to replace the drive sprocket on the engine when you replace the bar and chain!!! :) ;) :) ED