Channel Drain Help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EagleLandscape, Feb 11, 2009.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

We installed 80' of this stuff the other week, and I need a type of caulking to go between the outside edge of this grate, and the neighboring sidewalk.
    I am thinking something along the lines of what contractors use for expansion joints when they build by different phases. the thick rubbery stuff.

Anyone know whats that called, and where I could get it?

[​IMG]

2. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same problem. Laid the drain but the supplier had no caulking (that was recommended by manufacturer).

I used "big stretch" in gray. It was a year ago and it still bonded. Gets cross traffic and was in a commercial install.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Is it a caulking, that comes in a tube? Can I get it from HD or Lowes? Or is a strip like weatherstripping?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If you want it to last, get a polyurethane based caulking.

Why do you need to caulk it anyhow? How big of a gap are we talking about?

5. ARGOS

Caulking in a tube. Unfortunately I could only find the small tubes. Had to buy a few cases. I bought it at the local true value. I was working with two concrete borders so the drain had little movement. If you have one side that is a grass border I wonder if there will be too much drift?

Here is the website.

I notice it says not to use on heavy traffic areas such as sidewalks. Worked in my application. I put it on a drain to an entrance of an apartment building.

6. ARGOS

Like this?

This looks like the stuff. For concrete and flexible and has polyurathane.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

8. ARGOS

If I remember right that stuff dries pretty hard. I would worry about a bond with the drain?

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Does it need to bond with the drain? All you really need it to do is fill the crack and bond with the concrete. Personally I have never tried it with a channel drain, but I have worked with various polyurethane concrete sealants and caulkings and they are super durable. Next step up would be an epoxy, which I have also used, but once again, not on channel drains. Probably over kill for this project.

Worth noting here, if the channel drain has any play in it, and will be subject to heavy traffic, I wonder if there is any filler that would really last. Maybe just fill the crack with sand + morter mix.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic