Chapter 7 Hurts me AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SpruceLandscape, Sep 17, 2008.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

For the second time this year I have had a customer file Chapter 7 and list me as a creditor....

First time I got stiffed for just over $900
    This time I'm getting stiffed for $1885...
    Looks like I'm going to have to require people to pay 50% up front on any kind of install work I do from now on. Not sure how many more deadbeats I can afford to take before I'm outta bus...

This has definately been a bad year:confused:

2. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Try losing 10x that, and more then once. Got stiffed by a LCO for 23k a few years back. Now I am stilling trying to collect 30k for work completed in 07.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, I would definitely take a % down on a large project - get the customers skin in the game. 50% doesn't sound bad to me. You know you are going to do the work, now you need to know that the suckers will pay up.

4. mowjoe666

mowjoe666 LawnSite Member

When you extend credit to these customers, do you do a credit report or ask for any collateral?

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

In most states, if you do a job and leave the property without asking for payment, it is considered an extension of credit.

There was a guy on here, used to post a lot, he would tell people up front that payment was due upon completion, if they tried to not pay, he would stand on the front porch and call the cops, he would report it as a theft, same as if someone ate at a restaurant and tried to leave without paying. The people would usually pay right then, if they didn't, they still couldn't write him off in a bankruptcy.

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Yep and everyone used to make fun of that guys collection practices....But hes not holding his hand on his butt for 30g right now i bet

7. LawnTamer

Nope, I imagine he is passed out drunk this fine Friday night.

People make fun of BG, I did too, but he had some really good points. I guess a buncha people threw tantrums when he got back on, threatened to leave, and a bunch of silly BS, truth is, I thought it was pretty fun having him back.

8. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I charge in advance, before work is done and I have for years. Its the only way. Bobby had a great point, but all the people would have to do is say they arent happy with the work and the cops (if they would even bother to come since its a civil matter) would ask him to leave and settle it in court. Its not theft of service, I have checked into this, and as insane as it is, theft of service laws dont apply here.

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

that guy has been from here banned twice, and has also been banned from every other lawn care board.....

don't believe his posts.. they were all BS.....

10. LawnTamer

He was banned because people have thin skin. Is BG full of BS? Sure. Doesn't hurt anyone though, neither did gropey and he got banned too.

I think the reason for calling the police isn't necessarily to have the person arrested or to have the police really deal with it at all, I think it is to have a record, to show that you didn't just tell the person, "That's OK, pay whenever you want." I know people other than BG who do this.